Build Thread: Dark Star 4 Dual Deploy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.O.B.H.C.

Reaction score
My Dark Star arrived today that I ordered during the WildMan Black Saturday sale and I thought it would be fun to do a little build thread. Thanks again Tim for the great deal and a great kit.

All the parts:
5:1 Von Karman Nosecone
44" G12 Booster
22" G12 Payload section
9" G12 Coupler
20" G12 54mm motor tube
3x 1/8" G10 Forward Fins
3x 1/8" G10 Aft Fins
2x Inner Av-bay 1/8" G10 bulkhead
2x Outer Av-bay 1/8" G10 bulkhead
1x Nosecone 1/8" G10 bulkead
2x 1/8" G10 centering rings
Not pictured
2x 1/4" Plywood centering rings

Build pictures to come.

Last edited:
Mine just showed up at my house!

The crappy thing is, I have another 3.5 hours to wait before quitting time! :cry:

I hate waiting!

G.D.

YAY got mine right now! Will start a build thread soon.

Did you have any difficulty putting on the nosecone?

Mine looks like its going to need ALOT of sanding. Better to big than to small!

YAY got mine right now! Will start a build thread soon.

Did you have any difficulty putting on the nosecone?

Mine looks like its going to need ALOT of sanding. Better to big than to small!

My nosecone doesn't fit at all and it is going to require probably A LOT of sanding. Also did your fins come like covered in duct tape residue?

Yes some sort of stick residue!

But you are right i meant to say that it doesnt fit at all!

Im headed to go give all the parts a warm soapy bath so i'm not spreading G10 dust through out the house!

Got a little work done today. Cleaned all the tape residue off the fins and started marking the booster tube where certain hole are supposed to be drilled.

Attached is a picture of where I marked to drill the holes for the ejection fillets. Aft fins 1.5 inches from in from top and bottom. Forward fins 2 inches in from top and bottom.

Also marked booster tube for vent holes and shear pin holes.

Last edited:
Also having a DS4 DD that I haven't really started yet...I'd be interested in all the details of your build. Parts you chose for completing the build, build tips, etc...

Well parts I have chosen to add are a flanged Aeropack motor retainer, a 5th centering ring, forged 1/4-20" steel i-bolts two for the av-bay and one on the top centering ring for an attachment point, 1/4-20" u-bolt for the nosecone bulkhead, 50' of 9/16" Blue Water Nylon Webbing for drogue, 35' of 9/16" Blue Water Nylon Webbing for main, 84" Fruity Chute for main, 18" LOC parachute for drogue and 2-56" nylon screws for shear pins.

C.O

I've never used the injection method myself and I'd love to see some detailed pics of the process. I thought about it on my 4" Eagle Claw and didn't. Anyway would be great to see some real pics/details from someone experienced with it. That's going to be a great kit!

C.O

I've never used the injection method myself and I'd love to see some detailed pics of the process. I thought about it on my 4" Eagle Claw and didn't. Anyway would be great to see some real pics/details from someone experienced with it. That's going to be a great kit!

Here ya go. Detailed how to on the whole shebang! highly detailed pictures and technique.

https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/default.asp?groupid=1&groupid1=612121482&groupid2=104402892

Click on instruction for the DarkStar Ext. they are the same as yours, with the exception of being 75mm motor instead of the 54mm you have & there is no vent band on the 4. You can use the 1/2 hole method for vents and switch instead.
Also since there is no room in the extreme [75mm] for an eyebolt on the top CR, you glue the recovery harness to the motor mount. Other wise these instructions can be used to build yours. Even tells how much epoxy to mix and inject.

I've used this method on dozens of rockets including ones flown on N's & O's

Last edited:
Here ya go. Detailed how to on the whole shebang! highly detailed pictures and technique.

https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/default.asp?groupid=1&groupid1=612121482&groupid2=104402892

Click on instruction for the DarkStar Ext. they are the same as yours, with the exception of being 75mm motor instead of the 54mm you have & there is no vent band on the 4. You can use the 1/2 hole method for vents and switch instead.
Also since there is no room in the extreme [75mm] for an eyebolt on the top CR, you glue the recovery harness to the motor mount. Other wise these instructions can be used to build yours. Even tells how much epoxy to mix and inject.

I've used this method on dozens of rockets including ones flown on N's & O's

I thought it was an odd way of doing it, i had always tried to do it from the back end but found I couldnt get the epoxy very uniform or very good coverage. But, the methods i use on my other rockets, are nearly impossible with the darkstar, due to two sets of fins. I found using a smaller hole - closer to the edge and covering the joints with masking tape, and allowing epoxy to seal the hole made for a no fuss fin filet covering hole. it worked awesome, and my son loved injecting it.

Jim, the Extreme instructions don't say anyting about using shear pins on the drouge to avionics bay. (my wife is building, and I asked why she hadn't drilled the holes, she said - instructions didnt say to.) I told her its better than friction fitting, so to go ahead. are you guys doing somehting different?

Jim, the Extreme instructions don't say anyting about using shear pins on the drouge to avionics bay. (my wife is building, and I asked why she hadn't drilled the holes, she said - instructions didnt say to.) I told her its better than friction fitting, so to go ahead. are you guys doing somehting different?

She's right!

We don't use shear pins on apogee side. What for?

Never had any problems in all the many years of flying.

Only friction fit it, if it's stupid loose.

I've never done either, when I build, if coupler is too loose, I coat with thin epoxy and sand to fit correctly.

Build it right & you don't need a bandaid.

She's right!

We don't use shear pins on apogee side. What for?

Never had any problems in all the many years of flying.

Only friction fit it, if it's stupid loose.

I've never done either, when I build, if coupler is too loose, I coat with thin epoxy and sand to fit correctly.

Build it right & you don't need a bandaid.

she just chuckled reading this over my shoulder... thanks, (didnt meant o hijack a build thread but, saw an easy moment for a question.) thanks guys...

Back