Build them or Collect them

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiflyinPRguy

Reaction score
I dug out some more of my old rocket stuff that I had packed away and I found a couple of kits that have me pulling my hair out because I can't decide to build them or just put them up for safe keeping. Normally, I don't consider myself a collector of kits but I...I don't know!! I just want to keep these bagged for some reason!!! :kill: I probably have to blame it on nostalgia.

I realize that I could clone the kits but I can't find plans for some of them. If anybody knows where to get plans or a good kit bash for these PLEASE let me know. My scalp will thank you ;)

Here's what I found:
Estes Mini mean machine (could clone pretty easily)
Estes Beta Launch Vehicle (Found plans, but uses unique nose cone, may have trouble duplicating)
Estes Argosy (could clone, but also uses unique nose cone)
Estes Cajun (can't find plans, Already started, might as well finish)
Estes Liberty (can't find plans, already opened, warped fins)
Estes Mega Sizz (can't find plans!, looks like basic build though)
Estes Dasher (Can't find plans!, looks like basic build though)

and the most frustrating all:
Estes Super Neon - I can't find plans ANYWHERE and this is the one I want to build the most, Arghhhhh:mad:

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

The best place to start looking is the Estes Kit List at Ye Olde Rocket Shop:

https://www.rocketshoppe.com/info/estes_kit_list.pdf

Look up the kit by catalog number (which you should have if you still have the package front) or by name (if you can't find the catalog number). This list tells you where you can find the plans if they are available at all.

Greg

I checked out JimZ's, YORP, and A Shasta's but still could not find some of the plans I was looking for. The reason I posted the list was because I had hoped someone either had the original plans or had cloned the kits and could give me some suggestions.

I have found that I can get the nose cone for the Argosy from a Venom kit but the Beta launch Vehicle may be a little more difficult to come by.

FYI:
If anyone is interested in cloning the Liberty, it uses the same fin unit/engine mount and nose cone as the Alpha III. The Liberty's body tube is the same size as a body section on the Sky Writer. I've got the decals, I just need to scan them. I'll scan the instructions too when I get a chance.

Originally posted by HiflyinPRguy

I have found that I can get the nose cone for the Argosy from a Venom kit but the Beta launch Vehicle may be a little more difficult to come by.

Might want to contact sandman for advice on cloning the Beta Launch Vehicle. He can clone you a nosecone out of balsa perhaps. That man has some skills! ;)

I think I might let sandman make a repro of the Beta Launch Vehicle's nose cone in balsa. The only other rocket that uses the same cone is the Recruiter and those are hard to come by too. Maybe if I let sandman borrow mine he could make some copies and help out anybody else interested in cloning either of those two kits. That way, everybody wins :D

Maybe if I let sandman borrow mine he could make some copies and help out anybody else interested in cloning either of those two kits. That way, everybody wins

I'd be happy to do that!

sandman

HIfly:
I'm with metman: Jim-z and rocketshoppe are the most likely place to "easily" find complete plans already for downloading.
And then their is this forum Many of us keep our MR plans, some even make templates of the unique parts.
Estes argosy nose cone can be purchased directly from Estes. At least got some last summer, ordered by part number through customer service.

You do have two kits that are very interesting for scratch builders and scale models.
Mega Sizz has a very long BT-60 nose cone that can be converted into a specialty Spot landing vehicle Called the Isnix. Designed by Paul Conner back in the mid 70's, I named mine clone the PCS spot lander "Paul Conner Special" A very COOl rear ejection open spot lander vehicle I've used and won with for many years:D Pic below

The second is the Bata test vehicle. The Clear plastic fin unit and body ring are Great for many a Bt-60 based finless scale models; The Atlas, Gemini and Vanguards to name just a few.. I have 6 or 8 of these model "Kits" laying around just for that purpose. You may want to Keep than one as a parts treasure trove.

Most of the others would be fun clones and I think sandman or BMS could certainly help you with the noses and/or transitions if you don't want to try truning them yourself.

Thanks for the info everyone. The plans that I want the most are for the Super Neon. I never really see or hear of these being launched and I would love to have one in my fleet. I think the body for it is a standard BT-50 (18in") and the nose cone is just a PNC-50YR. It uses six tube fins (BT50) that have smaller balsa fins attached to them. I'm getting braver each day and may just go ahead open the thing.

Micromister- That PCS is a neat looking little vehicle! Any pics of it in action? I found out that the Mega Sizz shares the same NC with the Sizzler (the rear ejection one that was discontinued a year or two ago). That looks like some I might have try out:D One question: What engine do you fly it with?

Hifly:
No I usually don't try taking pic's during contests. but I've won open, parachute and streamers spotlanding events with this model. PCS can be flown on any standard 18mm motor from 1/2A to C6 with either chute or streamer.
I now have a micro-maxx downscale also that works exactly as the full size model.. It is pretty neat also. here's a pic of the micro model.

I couldn't find the pics of the PCS with the pod outside the body, so I reduced the res. on the one-page plan. Hope you can still read it a 58dip:( If you need a better copy the plan is in the files section of the yahoo MicroMaxRockets. group.
just upscale it to the Maga sizz or Sizzler nose cone.
It's really a fun flyer!

Back