Bugs in RockSim V8???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosko_racer

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced or found "bugs" in this software? I recently purchased RS 8 and had lots of fun with it, but from day one I had some bugs. One day all the flight Sims work fine, the next day all of them crashed even with the same parameters and specs... this is running the same saved file from the day before. Other days some parts in the 3D option simply disappear from the screen. Sometimes when you want to open a file it does not “see” those file with the proper file extension, I check with Windows Explorer and they are in the same folder… And now I cannot manually input the values on the Selected X or Selected Y when selecting the Plan Points on the custom fins: every time I try to type a new number it just simply increases by .01 every time I type a number (if I type 5 numbers in a row it will increase by .05). I am wondering if others have encountered the same problems…

Do not get me wrong, I like the software and I use it often.

It's software, of course it has bugs in it!

Seriously though, I haven't seen the problem you report, but I haven't used 8 much yet.

I have tried all the things you have described and never had these problems. Maybe you should re-install?

-Tim

I had some problems, including crashes, of the earlier versions of V8, but when I updated to a more recent one those problems went away, and it has been stable since.

I wish I could say the same for Windows - back in the 60s none of us would have imagined that one day the #1 company in the world would be in the business of selling defective software.

... And I will jump to that common thread about problems with RS v8.... moving...

Nah... visited the RS V8 and it is not addressing any weird occurances with the software so I am back on this one... I just opened the same file and had the same problem again... cannot change the values of the points on the fins... wrote to apogee this morning. right now I will reboot hoping it will fix itself...

No bugs at all with v8 or with Windows either.

I have had an XP install on one HDD since XP was released. Never a crash, never a restore, and never a bug. You don't get to be the number one OS developer in the world by selling defective software.

Er, yes, you do. Are you serious? :confused:

I agree that Windows is overall a great advance over things like DOS, at least as far as enabling us to do fancy things with our computers, but you certainly couldn't ever describe Windows - even XP - as "bulletproof". I didn't always describe Windows as "defective software", but when a recommended upgrade to a newer Internet Explorer not only didn't work but also permanently and inrevocably trashed MS Outlook (so that it can't even be reinstalled), I had to change my view.

I suppose you could blame these things on something other than Windows, but I think you'd be really stretching.

I mostly agree with you. I almost never have to restart my XP computer, and when I do it's usually because updates require it.

I too almost never restart my computer, have never had to reinstall windows, and have only had to go into safe mode or anything like that when it got a virus (my sister's fault - not the comp). I have not had a single failure that was not user error in some way since we switched to XP.

Alright guys, could we get back to the original topic, RockSim V8...

I rebooted my PC and the software behaves the same: still cannot modify the fin plan points. Reinstall? will try that but not before I get an answer from Apogee. I hope they are monitoring this thread... it still happens if I do a new rocket...

the only keys that make changes to the values of the fin points are keys 7, 8, and 9, anyone you press only increases the value by 0.01... the key letter E resets the value to 0...

I uninstalled the program and reinstalled it... it works fine. I made some changes to one of my designs, saved it, and now I am updating RS8... lets see what happens...

Looks like the new upgrade for RSv8 does not like my PC because it is doing the same thing. I have no clue since the KB is working fine with other programs. I am going to uninstall it and reinstall without the upgrade, I can live without the "fixes".

To all thanks for your thoughts on this thread. I wanted to have this documented for the programers to know and if they can, look for a solution. Good luck to all and thanks again. KahplAH!

You are not alone in your problems with the fin plan points in RS8. Search the forum for posts I have written, and you will find that I had exactly the same problem on my XP laptop, but not on my W2K machine. I corresponded with Tim Van Milligan and Paul Fossey (who wrote the program) and neither was able to ever reproduce the problem. I kept wanting to uninstall and reinstall Rocksim, but was advised not to. Eventually, I had a problem with XP, which required a reinstall, after which I ended up made me do a reinstall of Rocksim anyway, and I haven't had an issue since.

It would appear that there was something that was amiss in XP that caused the problem with Rocksim, and the reinstall corrected the XP problem, and thus caused Rocksim to perform as it should.

Al

Found the previous thread. Read through this....

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22882

Latest posts

Back