Blackbird

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StefanJ

Reaction score
Several years back I started out to build a big relatively light-duty mid-power demo model.

I actually made two of the same model. One I painted black with "51" on the fins. It doesn't have an actual name decal but it is called the Blackbird. It is meant to commemorate the launch of a major project at work by the same name.

It's based on the BT-80HD. Big balsa cones from BMS. Epoxy-coated cardstock boattail. Lightly fiberglassed balsa fins made of several parts.

The upper and lower sections recover on seperate parachutes. I may join them in the future.

Here it is pre-decals:

4532983674_b74e6dcfd1_z.jpg

First flight was at the Tilamook air museum field. It was a great flight, but the upper section parachute detached. The section was undamaged; very light and "drifty."

Flight video 1

Flight video 2

Here it is post-decal and stencil work. I launched it on a E28-4. The flight went well but the lower section parachute didn't deploy. The coupler was crunched but there was no other damage.
6180207628_05a34a8862_b.jpg

Looks like it means business. Save yourself some trouble and go with one chute.

I went for seperate sections after the "other" blackbird had a torn-chute rough recovery. Rocksim work showed that there were few "sweet spots" using available delays.

I may just put in a REALLY long shock cord and hope that is enough to deal with ascending or descending ejections.

Other than the paint job this rocket looks exactly like my very first 24mm cluster that I built more than 20 years ago. Mine was painted gloss white with black roll pattern. Cool!

Back