Black Powder Source in DFW/North Texas area?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielhv

Reaction score
I have called 10+ reloading supply stores and all seemed to say the same things: Black powder was replaced by synthetic powder, Black powder is illegal to have, black powder is illegal to sell in Texas, yadda yadda.

Any North Texas members care to share or PM where I can go to get 1lb of BP? I'm ready to do ground testing on my Punisher 3 and this is now the holdup.

I have called 10+ reloading supply stores and all seemed to say the same things: Black powder was replaced by synthetic powder, Black powder is illegal to have, black powder is illegal to sell in Texas, yadda yadda.

Any North Texas members care to share or PM where I can go to get 1lb of BP? I'm ready to do ground testing on my Punisher 3 and this is now the holdup.
BP rifles and pistols are not even considered firearms in Texas.

Black Powder​

Texas law also gives municipalities in the state the option to regulate the ownership and/or transportation of explosives. In some cases, there may not be any regulations on smokeless or black powder in quantities under 25 pounds. Some counties may also place restrictions on powder storage and transportation independent of any applicable municipal regulations.

Subjective question, but how long does 1lb last? I only have one DD rocket, new to it, so no idea how much I should buy

Years or maybe a decade or two. Depends on how many high flights you do in a year.

You could easily start out on the no-hazmat 12 pack for $14, with hazmat shipping the 1lb is $101 dollars.

Last edited:
@danielhv --

Someone @samb mentioned Buy Rocket Motors Ejection Charge Kits.

I believe they're in your neighborhood ( North TX ) ... maybe you could pick some up ?

Otherwise, I've got a little 4F that I could spare if we're ever at a launch together.

I am in Round Rock and fly with AARG or if I can make the trip, with WTSV.

I also want to make a trip to Seymour to fly with TNT this coming year.

I know that won't help with your immediate needs ... but in a pinch ...

Good Luck !

-- kjh

EDIT: you can send @pyrobob a direct message here: BuyRocketMotors.com > About Me ( and maybe I just now goosed him here :) )

Last edited:
1 lb lasts a long time. I fly mostly DD with redundant charges (4 X 2-3 gms per cannister) and it lasted me several years. Since I don't use motor ejection, I do dump all of the vials of BP from the motor manufacturers into my bottle so that extends the stash. I got my first bottle at Bass Pro shop in San Antonio, when I was living in TX several years ago. I'm now working on my second bottle.

Subjective question, but how long does 1lb last? I only have one DD rocket, new to it, so no idea how much I should buy
Just figure it out. There are 453.592 grams per pound. Go to one of numerous black powder calculators and figure it out.

Half that if you use a backup alt.

Yes but most starting L1 and L2 flyers are not running backup Alts. He is starting out. He should get the "starter pack" to get it down and then find a dealer at a launch to get it from, or drive farther out of DFW where the gun stores do sell BP.

Unless you get with others to buy BP as a group, the BP Hazmat just costs too much.

Back