Black n Red Alpha ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBob

Reaction score
F960BB69-84B1-4CD0-885B-6421AD0DBB77.jpeg
I got a box of mine from 40+ years ago.
Anyhoo I don’t ever remember a red n black alpha with water slide decals.
Does anybody have a pic of what it looked like. Happens that I am currently building one and would like to use this instead.

The Alpha has gone through many incarnations, and slightly different nosecones too (BNC/PNC-50K and a KA version among possible others).

Here's one that has a few flights on it (and so has some "character").

IMG_3525.jpg

As @ZoomieG noted, the red/black livery (via waterslide decals) was first shown in the 1982 Estes catalog. It changed to the red/blue livery (also with waterslide decals) 1989-1990. It changed from waterslide to peel-n-stick in the late 1990s, where it's been ever since.

My current regular flyer Alpha is build from one of these mid 1980s kits but has yellow as its base color instead of white. It's the one on the right in this group. The other two are an Alpha VI and a clone of a 1970's Alpha built by my wife from mostly Semroc parts, painted in the colors of our alma mater (New Mexico State University):

IMG_4793.jpg

This group is a late 1960s clone built from mostly Semroc parts and painted as my very first Alpha from ~1967, a golden anniversary one I built using parts (notably the nose cone) from an early 1070s kit, the red/black one in the first picture, and an Alpha from a ~2020 in the face card livery of that time. They've subsequently put the top stripes back on in the face card illustration, and finally updated the art to show the nose cone shape that the Alpha has had since about the time the blue/white waterslide livery appeared.

IMG_4790.jpg

Back