Biplane Swing Wing Rocket Glider-- Code Name JackKnife

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
JackKnife001.jpgJackKnife002.jpgNeed some advice from the glider experts.

Here are some rough drawings on this. Starts with a square body tube with a Square Base Pyramid Nose Cone.

Wings are 1/8" balsa, with a single hinge controlling both wings. Guestimating a body "tube" diameter of 2 inches, mainly to keep the wings far enough apart that upper and lower wings don't compromise each other.

The wings are locked in place at launch by a rubber band threaded through both wings and the body "tube," then wrapped around the back of the engine. The band runs directly in front of the engine and gets burned/released by ejection charge (this has worked GREAT on my helicopters.) Engine will eject out the back, can put a streamer on it for the purists. The right upper and lower wings are connected by a carbon fiber strut (or maybe a toothpick) on the right side. The left upper and lower wings are connected by a carbon fiber strut (or maybe a toothpick) on the left side. On each side, a rubber band is attached from these to the front of the rocket just behind the nose. Bilateral "canards" are in place to displace the bands outward at launch (this provides a better engineering "moment" and provides much more reliable deployment, again demonstrated on my helicopter rockets.)

So here are my problems:

1. How close can the upper and lower wings be without interfering with their lift function? Is 2 inches enough? CAn I get away with less?
  2. Stability of the gliderSince there is no way to get "dihedral" on the wings with this design, can I build dihedral into the tail? The horizontal and vertical stabilizers double as rocket fins on launch. Will the dihedral on the upper two fins/horizontal stabilizers work to stabilize the glider.
  3. Somewhere I will need to put a small elevon on this to give it a little tail lift after deployment.
  4. As designed, the green (left) wings are "outer" at launch, the red (right) wings are "inner". By doing this I don't need to put "caps" on the hinges, the green outer wings are glued to the hinge tube and rotate together. The red inner wings swing independently from the hinge. Both sets are attached to struts at their outer ends. Thus the Red Wings are closer together (less interval space) than the Green. Will this make a significant difference?

Note on the rough drawings, I know the nose is too short--- i.e., I will probably have more body "tube" in front of the wings then demonstrate here.

Back