Big Daddy at CENJARS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrat

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Turns out some kind soul took photos of my Big Daddy launch at CENJARS earlier this month. I had tried to previously fly this bird on a C-11 and then a D12, but I overbuilt it, and it just weighs too much. This time, I showed up with E12's and hooray, it finally came off the pad with enough altitude to successfully deploy the 'chute. For August, I will use the remaining E12's and then for September, I will order a composite F motor and we'll see what we get. I assume an Aerotech 24mm F is the way to go. They are expensive at $20 each, but it seems to be the way to go.

Attachments

• IMG_0520-1024x683.jpg
    IMG_0520-1024x683.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0523-1024x683.jpg
    IMG_0523-1024x683.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1
Nice! The E20-4 and E30-4 should work nicely as well. Maybe consider the Aerotech 24/40 case and then you can use the E18, E28, F24 and F39 in it at less cost per flight. It won't take long to make up the cost of the case compared to single use motors.

On small fields, I've had good flying with the Q-Jet D22-4 on a stock-ish Big Daddy (NC bulkhead, nomex, nylon chute). E26, not so much - not enough kick to get decent rod speed.

Maybe consider the Aerotech 24/40 case and then you can use the E18, E28, F24 and F39 in it at less cost per flight. It won't take long to make up the cost of the case compared to single use motors.
Having looked this up, this is good advice. However, I'm the kind of guy that takes baby steps. Let me get my feet wet with a few higher powered disposable motors first (i.e. I am aiming for September). If my rocket survives those higher powered flights (and I am sure it will, barring some kind of disaster (such as getting caught in a tree), my rocket is built to survive anything short of a nuclear explosion), I would definitely like to start gearing up towards 29mm reloadables in preparation for getting a L1, and it looks to me that a 24mm reloadable seems like a reasonable first step.

Having looked this up, this is good advice. However, I'm the kind of guy that takes baby steps. Let me get my feet wet with a few higher powered disposable motors first (i.e. I am aiming for September). If my rocket survives those higher powered flights (and I am sure it will, barring some kind of disaster (such as getting caught in a tree), my rocket is built to survive anything short of a nuclear explosion), I would definitely like to start gearing up towards 29mm reloadables in preparation for getting a L1, and it looks to me that a 24mm reloadable seems like a reasonable first step.

Great approach!

Turns out some kind soul took photos of my Big Daddy launch at CENJARS earlier this month. I had tried to previously fly this bird on a C-11 and then a D12, but I overbuilt it, and it just weighs too much. This time, I showed up with E12's and hooray, it finally came off the pad with enough altitude to successfully deploy the 'chute. For August, I will use the remaining E12's and then for September, I will order a composite F motor and we'll see what we get. I assume an Aerotech 24mm F is the way to go. They are expensive at $20 each, but it seems to be the way to go.

An Aerotech F will make for a very entertaining flight. I've put mine up on the F44 a few times with great success. Just make sure that the centering rings are strong enough :)

As DigBaddy mentioned, the E20 and E30 motors are just about perfect for that rocket. The E20 is what I fly in mine most if the time. If you look around you can sometimes find them on sale. I bought a few of the 2 packs a couple months back for $18.99.

The soon to be available Q-Jet E35 and F41 also should be good Big Daddy motors....forgot about that. Hope to do a cluster of four of these in a 4x24 Big Daddy soon. Hoping to do 4x E26 tomorrow.

Just make sure that the centering rings are strong enough :)
The engine would have to tear the fins off. They are bonded to the motor mount, then to the *inside* of the body tube and then also to the outside of the body tube. It was built to survive terminal velocity impacts with maybe only cracks in the paint.

Nice! The E20-4 and E30-4 should work nicely as well. Maybe consider the Aerotech 24/40 case and then you can use the E18, E28, F24 and F39 in it at less cost per flight. It won't take long to make up the cost of the case compared to single use motors.

On small fields, I've had good flying with the Q-Jet D22-4 on a stock-ish Big Daddy (NC bulkhead, nomex, nylon chute). E26, not so much - not enough kick to get decent rod speed.
I was thinking E30 too.

CENJARS you launch from Wall Municipal field correct? How heavy is the Big Daddy that you had to use an E12 engine. Because stock the D12 does a nice job. Any idea on your altitude?

I'm part of a program that uses the Big Daddy with an Arduino payload.
These rockets weigh about 16 oz / 460 grams with the modifications and payloads.

we use both the E20 and E30-4 motors

They fly to just over 400 feet

attached are a couple of Raven flights

Tony

Attachments

• SSU big daddy E20-4.FIPa
    28.3 KB · Views: 0
  • SSU big daddy E30-4.FIPa
    27.3 KB · Views: 0
I flew my 29mm BD on an E30 for a shakedown. This is a bit heavier than my stock one, with 1/64" ply over the balsa for fins and 1/8" ply front centering ring and more nose weight. Still flies great on that motor.
Years ago I had a stock Estes Phoenix that I flew with D12s, those get it just about high enough that a parachute can work. I flew it once on an E30 and I was amazed how high it would go with that motor.

Sir, have I got the deal for you:
Go on line to Thrustcurve.org
Put in rocket specs and it will tell you which motors will work and which will not work as well as speed off the road, velocity, altitude, and correct delay time for each motor.
It's free, fun, easy, quick and accurate.

Back