Big and Bigger Bertha

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidsheeep

Reaction score
i think theres a close resemblence lol... (did i spell that wrong?)

DV20031213125045.jpg

heres the front view... i think the nosecones and everything looks the same...

DV20031213125026.jpg

the mockup for the fins... not quite right... i need to cut the side of the leading edge more parrallell to the body tube...

DV20031213125011.jpg

yea i dunno...

I'm in progress on a Estes Big Bertha. I think the kit is very good and very much like the old kits from the 70's with the exception of the stickers (don't like 'em) and the plastic nose cone .... undecided about the nose cone ... I think I would have liked the old fashioned balsa nose better.

Your pics of the Bigger Big Bertha can't be seen ... I'd like to see 'em !!!

I'll post a pic of my standard Bertha once it's complete.

Well, I've got my Big Bertha done.

As for a review ... well ... I spent a lot of time trying to get the body tube to look smooth ... 3 coats of primer sanded between each coat ... didn't happen ! Do all of Estes kits have such poor body tubes or did I just get a bad one ! Overall the kit is OK ... the rocket looks OK ... I didn't care for the cut-out stickers but I used 'em anyway. At first I didn't like the plastic nose cone either ... but it did finish ultra smooth ... so I guess in retrospect I do like the plastic nose cone.

This is the first rocket kit I've built in 20 years !!!

Right beside the Bertha is a Mosquito I've gotten put together too ... paint later today.

Bertha looks good to me. If you are talking about the spiral groves in the tube, there are a couple of lines of thought on them. Some folks ignore them and live with the results, others fill them before finishing with fill n finish or another such product, then primer and paint. I personally fill them before I do anything else with the tube, unless it has to be cut, then I do that first.

The spiral grooves I can live with .... this batch of tubes must have just barely made QC though ... it is ... well ... mottled ... for lack of a better word .... I may just be being to fussy ...lol

Back