Best way to clean-cut body tube (raw/painted)?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc_G

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Same basic question in two versions:

What's the best way to make a nice sharp flush cut in a body tube, if it's a painted rocket? And again if it's an unpainted stock body tube?

My Der Red Max's maiden flight was on a windy day; I got conservative and launched her on an A8-3. It didn't even make it 100 feet in the air. It prepared to lawn dart but ejected the nosecone right before impact. So I've got half an inch of crimped body tube at the forward end to cut off. Good think I hadn't applied the decals yet. I want to cut that bit off. How to get the best possible cut through the tube that's got layers of primer and paint (enamel) on it? Is there some kind of jig I should make to get it right?

I've also got some tube chopping to do for some other build projects. Stock body tubes. BT-60 I believe.

Thanks

Marc

I found TRF for that same problem--4-H project dropped on the garage floor while drying.

You'll have other suggestions, but an index card wrapped around the tube and secured with tape makes a cheap and easy guide for cutting. Use a new blade in your hobby knife.

What Pippin says - but don't try to slice the tube with the tip of your knife - put a dowel rod inside that is as close to the inside diameter as possible and press the knife against the tube while slowly rolling the tube and dowel. Cutting that way will eliminate the "fuzzies" you get by using the tip of your knife.

Heres a simple little gizmo you can build cheap and quick. And like was mentioned above make sure you apply light pressure while you turn/roll the tube in the jig. Example in the picture is a BT55 being readied to cut into a 12" piece.

I used to have a ruler laminated along the top but it fell off several years ago. I just measure and place the clamps for the cut now.

Hope this helps.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Another very important part of getting factory Clean cuts on your tubes is the use of an internal Mandrel.

This along with a very shape, Stropped blade will ensure perfectly cut tubing of any size.

Cutter-b-sm_Mandrels 20 and 30 inch_03-04-03.jpg

Thanks for your replies guys. I will build the jig described/pictured above. I may have to adjust the concept a bit because one of my tubes to cut has fins and launch lugs on it! So it wouldn't roll well on the jig. I might make a VERY SMALL version of the jig that will clear the lugs.

Marc

Back