Best Parachute for a BT-50 rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timster68

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple BT-50 rockets, a Battlestar Galactica Viper and Torpedo that need replacement parachutes. I like to buy nylon ones, but the 12” thin mil one I have on hand seems to be too big - due to the parachute cords. Is there a brand that will fit these body tubes?

I launched my more rockets viper Tuesday with a top flight thin mil without any issues. I agree the cords do make it a tad interesting. Screenshot_20210226-192529_Video Player.jpg

It did fly thru the shroud lines do to the delay being a little long though.

They are stock Estes kits that came with 12” parachutes, so another 12” should be fine. I’m willing to settle replacement plastic ones if I have to.

I’m not sure I can get this chute into the body tube. It’s is a TOP FLIGHT RECOVERY
Thin Mill Nylon Parachute - 1.1 oz 12”.

Attachments

• 94EACC04-A13C-453D-A16E-AC7215E0D393.jpeg
    94EACC04-A13C-453D-A16E-AC7215E0D393.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I’m not sure I can get this chute into the body tube. It’s is a TOP FLIGHT RECOVERY
Thin Mill Nylon Parachute - 1.1 oz 12”.
Roll it thinner and longer. Also don't wrap the shroud lines around the chute. Z fold them and put them between the folds of the chute. Wrapping them around the chute can cause deployment problems. If it's still too tight you can put the shroud lines in after the chute.

I rarely scratch build with BT50 because I find stuffing parachutes into a BT50 to be a real pain. I don't think I've tried to stuff a nylon chute into one. Generally I try to stay with BT55 at minimum, and the occasional BT50 gets a plastic chute.

Of course that doesn't help you with your issue. I'd say try @teepot 's suggestions for chute folding. I need to try that approach next time (or better yet, practice here at home). Would love to see a quick video of the z-fold technique.

A twelve inch parachute should be fine in a BT-50
At one time, Estes put a 24" chute in the old BT-50 Drifter model.
Or - and eight inch parachute in a BT-5? Next to a tri-fold shock cord mount,
ejection was iffy.

Short spaces can require a Z-Fold. Skinnier rockets may need a single fold to slide in.
I loosely wrap the shroud lines, everybody has their preference.

Here's some blog posts on how I pack parachutes.
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2017/02/folding-parachutes-tip-part-1.htmlhttps://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2017/02/folding-parachutes-tips-part-2.html

I rarely scratch build with BT50 because I find stuffing parachutes into a BT50 to be a real pain. I don't think I've tried to stuff a nylon chute into one. Generally I try to stay with BT55 at minimum, and the occasional BT50 gets a plastic chute.

oh cmon Neil, your body tube selections have nothing to do with chute packing.

you don’t do BT50 for the same reason Leonardo Da Vinci didn’t do the Mona Lisa on post card.

Beautiful creations require adequate amount of canvas!

I have a couple BT-50 rockets, a Battlestar Galactica Viper and Torpedo that need replacement parachutes. I like to buy nylon ones, but the 12” thin mil one I have on hand seems to be too big - due to the parachute cords. Is there a brand that will fit these body tubes?
Yes, It's called a streamer.

For the Viper, since the chute size is a little diameter limited, and you have lots of extra body tube weight for those engine tubes, maybe consider rigging up an external shroud line that suspends the body in a horizontal or slightly nose up horizontal orientation. This will add more body drag in combination with the chute during the recovery descent and look really cool like a Viper coming in for a hot landing. Reinforce a spot on the dorsal fin for example, and rig up a line near or just ahead of the cg of the body alone with a spent engine casing loaded so the nose points up just a bit.

horizontal recovery works on other small dia rockets, but looks cooler when you have a winged rocket with a canopy on top and landing gear on the bottom that just wants to land that way in the first place.

Back