Bellyflop Recovery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For my latest iteration, I modified it to use a stock Estes NC-80B nose cone. Since it is heavier than the one that I 3D printed, even with the base cut off, I had to move the forward fins all the way up to the front end.

View attachment 593688

I also drilled holes in the plywood centering rings to allow ejection gas to escape. So, no more need to use plugged motors.

View attachment 593689

The screw eyes and washers are used to fine tune the CG location. The masking tape is to retain the motor.

I have always been concerned that there would be a problem with the transition to flop mode if the rocket wasn't launched straight up. So I launched with the rod tilted. Worked fine.

Fantastic!

For my latest iteration, I modified it to use a stock Estes NC-80B nose cone. Since it is heavier than the one that I 3D printed, even with the base cut off, I had to move the forward fins all the way up to the front end.

View attachment 593688

I also drilled holes in the plywood centering rings to allow ejection gas to escape. So, no more need to use plugged motors.

View attachment 593689

The screw eyes and washers are used to fine tune the CG location. The masking tape is to retain the motor.

I have always been concerned that there would be a problem with the transition to flop mode if the rocket wasn't launched straight up. So I launched with the rod tilted. Worked fine.

FWIW , Belly Flop Recovery has now been successful flown at NARAM sport range, with great recoveries. Pics to follow. The observers commented, “What the heck is Belly Flop Recovery?”
But they were suitably impressed by the flights, one A8-3 in very windy conditions, one on B6-4 in very light winds.

Throwing in
ScrewBall in Side Pocket cuz not sure where it fits.

This was SUPPOSED to be a backslide, but for all practical purposes it just turn horizontal and came almost straight down.

The rod goes through the ping pong ball nose.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Back