Battlepark 2023-2024 Launch Schedule

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tHoagland

Rocket Builder
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Tripoli Central Virginia has announced our launch schedule for the 2023-2024 season. Details are available on the website (battlepark.org) but here are the highlights.

• Oct 14 & 15 -We’ll be setting up the range on Saturday morning. More help, gets us flying sooner.
  • Oct 27, 28 & 29 – Three day launch
  • Nov 11 & 12
  • Dec 9 & 10
  • Jan 13 & 14
  • Feb 10 & 11
  • Feb 24 & 25
  • Mar 9 & 10
  • Mar 23 & 24
  • Apr 12, 13 & 14 – Battle of the Rockets.
I'm excited to get back in the field and hope to see everyone's off-season builds.

Edit to fix typos on Oct 27 & Jan 13.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this, I actually just checked the website and Facebook page earlier today for a schedule. I'm going to try to come out and launch with you all for the first time. It's a shorter drive than going to MDRA's fields, with the added benefit that traffic should never be a problem, unlike traversing the Beltway and Bay Bridge to get to the Eastern Shore!

With rain forecast all day, Saturday's setup / launch has been postponed until Sunday. Weather permitting, we'll spend the morning and start launching rockets once the range is setup (mid-afternoon). Updates will be posted to the club website (battlepark.org)

What a great setup on Sunday. Between the VA Tech and GW students, we had 60 or more folks on the field.
Had a lot more flights Sunday then I expected with the windy conditions. Sparky had at least one flight off the away cell and there was a successful L1 cert flight, even though one family of boys lost 2 of 3 of their first C6-5 flights. At least the video camera was recovered.

Thanks for all the help setting up the range!

Looking forward to meeting a few of you folks. I'm in Lynchburg and just decided to get back into rocketry after a long absence. I flew model and high power back in the 80's and 90's and dusted off a few of my old rockets to see if they'd still fly. I joined Tripoli and Tripoli Central VA and plan to bring the kids and let them fly their Estes rockets. If everything goes to plan, I will attempt my L1 flight in an old LOC Minnie Magg so I can buy a G125 if I want, or bigger stuff too. Back when I was in TRA last time, there was only "confirmation" and you could then fly what you wanted. I got confirmed to fly HPR at 13 years old way back in the day.

My long term plans are to get L2 cert so I can play with some research motors. The RCS website is actually what got me back interested in this--I have no interest in casting my own propellants, but when I found out you can guy about anything you desire, it really piqued my interest to get back into it. And you have be L2 certified to buy raw propellant grains.

It is supposed to be hot this weekend. I'm going to bring my pop-up canopy in case it gets too hot in the sun. Look for the camouflaged Minni-Magg and come say Hi.

-Matt

@tHoagland , is the burn ban for Culpepper still active today? I looked at the Battlepark website and indicates as such at the top in red writing, but without a date on that note, I'm not sure if that is current information or old. I suppose if it it's still active, the Dec 9/10 launch is in jeopardy. In Lynchburg, we are supposed to get 3-4 days of rain starting Friday this week. Not sure if it will make it as far north as Culpepper, but it will help.

I'm not going to be able to make the Dec launch, regardless on if the ban is lifted or not. Jan 13/14 is my next opportunity pending kid-schedules. Trying to get some projects finished up for next year so I have more rockets to fly.

-Matt

@2-0turbo Happy to report the burn ban has been lifted and we are set to fly on December 9th and 10th.

note, due to the dryer than normal conditions we are restricting the use of sparky motors until further notice

Nice! I've got a decent pile to burn: 5 J's, 2 K's, and 1 L. Now I'm hoping for good weather....

Nice! I've got a decent pile to burn: 5 J's, 2 K's, and 1 L. Now I'm hoping for good weather....
That is one hell of a cluster! I like clusters, so I’m assuming you’re putting all 8 motors into one rocket. Should be a great flight! :cool:

I won’t make the Dec launch and hoping for the Jan one. I’m hoping to have a few motors by then if they show up in time: I280DM (let’s hope the sparky ban get lifted), H550 in not sure what yet, thinking maybe an H135 in a LOC Graduator. I’m working on some Eggtimer GPS goodies, so some of these flights may have to wait until I have some tracking help. I just rebuilt the Graduator and I’d prefer not to lose it.

I’m just back into the hobby and recently picked up my first reloadables: a 24/40 and 24/60! Cute little things. I’ll have to break them in too.

Nice guys!

I’m thinking an I364 in my Caliber ISP, a J350 in my “Carbon Laser” and a few G and H motors in the Estes Argent. Will also be bringing the Estes Goblin 3 for her first flights.

@2-0turbo really like the 24/60. The F51 and F63 are fun loads!

@2-0turbo really like the 24/60. The F51 and F63 are fun loads!
@Theory So far, I've got a few of the 24/40 E28 and F24 reloads. I haven't picked any up for the 24/60 case yet. But, it looks like Ken keeps a pretty good selection of the hobby RMS motors in stock, so I'll definitely try the two you've recommended. I feel like I saw a video of you flying one of your rocketss on the F63, maybe on your YT channel. The F35 looks nice too--I like a longer burn motor. Well, I like short burn motors too--I guess I'm not too picky.

The 29/40-120 case looks nice too! Lots of options for motors, decent price point and most HAZMAT free. The G138 looks awesome--can't get much closer to a full-G than that.

@Theory So far, I've got a few of the 24/40 E28 and F24 reloads. I haven't picked any up for the 24/60 case yet. But, it looks like Ken keeps a pretty good selection of the hobby RMS motors in stock, so I'll definitely try the two you've recommended. I feel like I saw a video of you flying one of your rocketss on the F63, maybe on your YT channel. The F35 looks nice too--I like a longer burn motor. Well, I like short burn motors too--I guess I'm not too picky.

The 29/40-120 case looks nice too! Lots of options for motors, decent price point and most HAZMAT free. The G138 looks awesome--can't get much closer to a full-G than that.
The G138 is an awesome motor. I fly my 4 inch Fat Boy on it all the time.

How was the launch this weekend? Saturday was supposed to be dry, but I got rain where I was. So not sure how Saturday went. Not as much rain as Sunday, but moist nonetheless.

Nice pictures @Theory ! Looks like there were some really nice flights. You know who flew the LOC Ultimate on the G80's? I'd like to discuss the igniters with them. I've had good luck clustering BP motors, but mixed results with APCP. I've picked up some new igniters that I'm hoping will improve the reliability of lighting the composite clusters. I hate I missed it.

Back