Banishing Tube Spirals

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an observation from today:

I tried to deal with spirals with CWF, only this time I did it with a BT-50 body tube and used my thumb to smear it into the grooves. Seemed like this smearing technique worked well and I will see if it works with BT-20 body tubes on my next build that uses that sized tubing.

Perhaps it's already been mentioned before (I think it has, but not sure when or which thread), that when getting the best finish on a body tube, sometimes there are spiral ridges to deal with, in addition to the grooves. I never noticed this with BT-20 tubing (which is my primary rocket size), but when working with Estes BT-50 tubing, I noticed this issue. So I think using a hybrid approach of sandable/filler primer + CWF might be a great combination with certain body tubes to deal with both as efficiently as possible.

So I think using a hybrid approach of sandable/filler primer + CWF might be a great combination with certain body tubes to deal with both as efficiently as possible.
That is extremely common practice.

If you haven’t already done so I highly recommend reading @hcmbanjo ’s blog (http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/) where he show this process very clearly.

I hate sanding filler/primer but it is so darned effective that I usually just suck it up and deal with it.

That is extremely common practice.

If you haven’t already done so I highly recommend reading @hcmbanjo ’s blog (http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/) where he show this process very clearly.

I hate sanding filler/primer but it is so darned effective that I usually just suck it up and deal with it.
Yeah, I thought I saw him talking about using both before, but me being lazy, I hoped I could get satisfactory results with just one of the techniques.

I don't care to build all my rockets where appearance is that important, but I want have the skills to get perfect results when I want (or need) them.

Yeah, I thought I saw him talking about using both before, but me being lazy, I hoped I could get satisfactory results with just one of the techniques.
Sometimes you can get by with only one. For my current build the tubes have very minimal grooves, so I'm just doing filler/primer without the CWF step. Some folks always just do it with the filler/primer, sometimes using several coats.

For me, CWF + filler/primer is my "standard" approach for body tubes, as learned on Chris's block. It almost *always* produces excellent results. Occasionally I will diverge as the circumstances allow.

Some folks always just do it with the filler/primer, sometimes using several coats.
That's what I had been doing. But if I have to choose between 1 filler/primer coat and 1 application of CWF, or 3 primer/filler coats, I choose the former.

I will take a picture of it when I get back into town and then post it here. It also has a Quest Big Rage payload bay on top, to give it a bit of a extra length for stability, IIRC. A true “Frankenrocket”.
Oh, wait! There are already pictures of the "Gnome-Hawk" Frankenrocket in this thread on TRF:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/tube-coupler-hack.172910/
Here are couple more I found on my phone:

gnome_hawk_landing_spot_dove_valley_park_2022_06.jpg

gnome_hawk_bottom_view_spent_engines_2022_08_fort_lupton.jpg

For @CoolRockets

I should calarify. The Quest Big Rage "payload bay" is not the payload bay from the Big Rage. It is just an intact piece of pre-colored body tube from a crashed Quest Big Rage.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back