Baffles

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trmbne2000

Reaction score
I am building a model rocket from scrath for a launch next month. I wanted to incorporate 'baffles' but I am neither sure what they exactly do or how to make them. From what I can gather, they are some sort of device that blocks the solid particles from the ejection charge, but permits the hot pressurized gases to escape, thus removing the need for recovery wadding(??). Am I right? And as far as how to construct a working set, I am completely clueless. Any help is greatly appreciated! I am using D engines if that helps.

Thanks!
Andrew
[email protected]

Excuse the ASCII graphic, TRF is html-based and deletes the extra spaces required to make it useful.

Thanks for the help rstaff3. It turns out that that design was simmilar to what I had in the first place, I will just have to drill the vent holes. Thanks alot!

Andrew
[email protected]

rstaff,

If you'd like, send me the file I can convert it to PDF for all to see.

Originally posted by Trmbne2000
From what I can gather, they are some sort of device that blocks the solid particles from the ejection charge, but permits the hot pressurized gases to escape, thus removing the need for recovery wadding

I've always thought that it was the hot gas that damaged the chute, is it acctually the hot particles that do the damage. I guess it makes sense but I just wanted to get my facts straight.

Thanks in advance.

A day late and a dollar short... but here it is in pdf format.

Enjoy,

Back