Back from Whitakers...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGerringer

Ruler of Heck
Reaction score
Here are the (small) pics: https://scooby.cybergatetech.com/Projects/Rocketry/Pictures/launch 11-17-01/

And the full images if you want to see them: https://scooby.cybergatetech.com/Projects/Rocketry/Pictures/launch 11-17-01/Full_Image/

We tried shortening the 10 second dely on some G64s and it apparently didn't work. After 10 seconds and 25' from the ground, the Mirage's parachute ejected. The parachute physically opened 5' from the ground but it didn't help. The Mirage sustained a bit of damage but I can't fix it. An inch zipper, a crushed coupler, and a bend (well, not a bend) in the body tube. I will take some pictures of the recovery. :)

I didn't take as many pictures as usual cause I only stayed a few hours. But I have news: Mark, Ken and I passed the Tripoli Cert 2 paper test!!! Next step: The level 2 launch. As far as I could tell, fun was had by all. I will let Ken and Mark chime in... :)

I'll throw in a few brief words - I may add more later.

We have come to the conclusion that Whitakers is pretty much always windy. C'est la vie.

We had a great time. Phil, Mark and I all decided to get the test over with the first thing. Once that was out of the way....

I flew my Estes Broadsword on one of the new Estes E9-6. That is a pretty neat engine for that rocket. It has a 2.9 second burn, and it puts the Braodsword up there pretty high. Recovered it on an 18" Top Flite nylon chute.

Then, I prepped the AMRAAM 3 with a 29mm H180. Another good flight.

After that we said adios to Phil, who had to wimp out early at 1PM in the afternoon as he had to get back to Winston-Salem for a Boy Scout dinner.

Boy, did he miss out. If Mark and I had been thinking, we would have gotten him to leave his camera. Dumb guy, dumb guy, dumb guy....

After he left, Mark was lamenting the fact that there were no high power motors available, because he really wanted to fly his Diablo on something bigger than a G, and he would really really like to try it on a 38mm something.

Soooooo.... feeling particularly generous, I checked into my stash of engines. I offered to sell Mark a 29mm H180 or a 38mm H123. Not surprisingly, he jumped on the 38mm. It was the first 38mm Mark had ever prepped, and I enjoyed listening to him wax enthusiastic over the large O-rings in the reload kit. The Diablo left the pad in a hurry under the urging of the 38mm H. It put in a very good flight and a perfect recovery.

And Phil missed it..... too bad.

Then I flew my Python on an AT su E18-7W. That E put that Python w-a-y high, and for a minute I thought it was going to end up in the trees. But luck was with me, and it landed about 15 feet away from the tree line.

After that, one of the other guys there brought out his 7-inch scratch-built V2 (I think the guys name is Jim Livingston). He was launching it on a K550. Awesome flight.

Then, for the last flight of the day, I flew my Combat Jet on an F40. This was its 4th flight, and I had finally figured out how to set the trim for launch. It went nearly straight up, and I was glad that I had Mark's younger eyes to do some spotting for me for the first 30 seconds of its glide. Then it got low enough that I could distinguish its flight attitude. I managed to keep it in the air for about another minute, and I made several passes on the launch area, and even one back towards the spectator area. The landing was smooth, and I was able to nearly stop it in the slight headwind. The landing was only about 30 feet from us. I love that Combat Jet.

After that, we packed up for the day, and 10 of us went into Rocky Mount and had dinner at a LoneStar. Perfect ending to a perfect day.

Oh yeah.... forgot to mention that during the day I managed to do some wheeling and dealing with Kelly Mercer. I talked him into selling me an Estes StratoBlaster that he rescued from a hobby shop sale. Someone had built it, flown it once, it had scared them to death, and they took the radio gear out of it and put it up for sale. All I have to do is put some radio gear back in it and I'll have another RC boost glider for my growing fleet. I have the HobbyLab SR-71, the Combat Jet, and now the Estes StratoBlaster.

Life is good.

Yeah, what Ken said. ;)

Flying the H123 was very cool! :D I couldn't get over the size of the o-rings. Great flight. My only complaint (and its a very small one, thanks Ken) was that we only had a short delay. The ejection was a little premature but, no damage and it kept the flight low enough that I didn't have to worry about the treeline.

That K550 was absolutely awesome! :eek: We also got to see several "J" Redline motors that were also very cool.

A few brief words? Man I'd hate to see it when you have something to say! :D

That's great stuff guys. I'm looking forward to the March launches more and more.

Congrats on passing the test.

Originally posted by PGerringer
The Mirage sustained a bit of damage but I can't fix it. An inch zipper, a crushed coupler, and a bend (well, not a bend) in the body tube. I will take some pictures of the recovery. :)
Phil, did you mean to say that you don't think you can fix it? I thought on Saturday you said that you could fix it. Let me know if you need some help. I think it can be repaired.

Phil, Mark, and Ken - good job on passing the Cert 2 written test. Congratulations to all!

- Teresa

First off...

:D CONGRADULATIONS TO ALL ON THE L2 TEST!!!!! :D

I am very glad you all passed the test and will do the "Happy Dance" for you all! It sounded like another good day at Whitakers...hope you told everyone there I said "HI". You guys had a great time...Ken is getting more stick time which is good and it looked like a nice day...good job!

Looking forward to ALOT of L2 launches in April :p

Carl

btw...great pics! Now check mine out!

Oooops, I said the Mirage can't be fixed... I meant I can fix it. I'm now busy chopping and sanding and fixing to make a new improved Mirage... more later...

Back