Back Aafter A While

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pugachu

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
hi,

I was active on these forums a long time ago as 'Brian Barney' but I can't get back into my old account, as my email address was tied to my ISP from 18 or so years ago. I used to fly a lot in California with ROC, but we moved out of state after I got married and graduated college with a Mechanical Engineering degree. We moved to Colorado for a short time, then Arizona. We had 3 kids along the way, so that kept me very busy. I kept my Tripoli membership active, so I didn't lose my certifications, but haven't flown too much in a while.

I'm in Tucson now, and occasionally fly with SARA. my 3 kids are now they are old enough to start being able to enjoy rockets and I get to share it with them. I took them a few times before COVID hit, and they've all forgotten having been after not having flown in about 3 years. On the positive side, they get to re-experience it for the first time again.

I like EX rocketry, and high altitude stuff. SARA has a field limit of 4,500' AGL, and they don't allow EX stuff. I will eventually make my way over to Tripoli Phoenix, but on their website, they admit the field isn't kid friendly. For EX stuff, I am really interested in hybrids, as I don't have a disconnected shop, and I don't want to risk mixing fuel in the garage. I have made several micro-hybrids, but would like to get more into the larger stuff.

So much has changed over the past 10 or so years since I was active in the hobby. There are a LOT more electronics options, and I am happy to see the expanded motor selections, including the niche end burners. I picked up 2 H13's for a staging project that I've started working on.

I noticed electronics have changed a lot since I came back to rocketry after a similar stint away. GPS trackers seem to be within budget reach now. This will also allow for some higher power motors since I won't be afraid to lose an expensive rocket.

Back