Baby Bertha Ninja Turtle rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DM1975

Upscalien
Reaction score
So my 3 year old loves the Ninja Turtles and is getting into rockets now that I am getting back into them. So I decided since Hobby Lobby has 30% off all rocket items this week to buy some rockets and build (one for my 4 year old too, he likes Ben Ten, that will follow)

My 3 year old son Nathan picked out a Baby Bertha for his rocket and wanted it decorated in Ninja Turtles so when we got home last night I fired up Photoshop and got to work on the wraps for the BT and fins. I am still not done yet with the build so I will keep this progressing as a build thread.

First the engine block, same as any for now...

DSCF2293.jpg

Next I wrapped the BT in a paper wrap I made in Photoshop. Nathan loves blue so I made the background blue and made the height the size of the BT and the width a bit longer than the radius of the BT.

After printing that and trimming it out I thinned white glue with water and smeared it on the BT completely covering it. I work with the BT on a dowel I have locked in a bench vice so I can easily move the paper where needed with both hands and after positioning it I wrap it completely and tightly and smooth it from the center out, trim the ends and glue the overhang down.

DSCF2292.jpg

Next I do the fins. I wanted to do one side of each fin in a different Turtle, and the other side of each fin in the TMNT logo so when you faced the fins opposing each other you could see one turtle and the logo. I took the images that I wanted and opened up a blank document in photoshop roughly the size of the fins and placed the images one by one that I wanted in place and printed, trimmed, and glued each one to the fins. First the characters, then the logos.

DSCF2295.jpg

DSCF2296.jpg

This is as far as I have gotten on it right now. I will finish the fin edges later today and shoot some clear coat on all the parts later as well. After that I plan on attaching the wings using glue rivits since I plan on not using any fillets on this build. Will get more pictures up later.

Looking good. Are you going to whip out the airbrush and "turtle shell" the nose cone? :D

Looking good. Are you going to whip out the airbrush and "turtle shell" the nose cone? :D

I didn't think about that but since you mention it I might try it. I have not used my air brush in quite a while so it might be quite a task for me but I think I might give that a try. :)

That looks like the making of a nice looking rocket. Hope your kid realy likes it. It's good that you are spending time with your son and introducing him to the hobby.

Thanks, I guess you can say my dad tought me well. tought me well what not to do. I made a promise a long time ago not to treat my kids like my father treated me so even with the military and two trips to Iraq under my belt I still try to make all the time I can for my kids.

Here is the glue rivit holes drilled after I have lightly clear coated the tube. After this I painted the lower quarter of the tube black to color key with the fins. I will hit it one more time with a clear coat and file a clean channel for the wings to glue into next, just removing paint and clear coat and paper wrap to help the glue adhere to the parts better.

DSCF2297.jpg

Very Cool! Looks very cool! Man! You're a busy guy! First the TLP rocket now this! :surprised:

My dad was busy al the time. I try to make time for my kids too but feel I fall short sometimes.....

My favorite song, "Cats cradle and the silver spoon." I always seem to hear it play on the radio when I get too busy with something.....

Very Cool! Looks very cool! Man! You're a busy guy! First the TLP rocket now this! :surprised:

Well I have some extra time on my hands. I have a head injury I am getting over right now so I get a bit of extra time than usual. BTW, I have another TLP kit on its way for my birthday right now as we speak. ;)

OK, now I have fins attached and all paint done. All I have left is the launch lug and the recovery system and a coat of future. Nose cone is also painted black, I have decided not to do a turtle shell pattern, maybe I will try on a seperate nose cone later, but for now, just straight black.

DSCF2298.jpg

You are doing a really nice job. Nathan picked a good rocket--the Baby Bertha is a good flier.

Thanks, I helped him pick it out actually. Here is the finished photos. Going to go fly it today.

DSCF2301.jpg

DSCF2300.jpg

That came out awesome!That wrap definetely stands out,and the fins look great too,nice work!

Thanks, I was very happy with the way it turned out as well. I took the boys out and we fired this one and a few more off and had a blast. Used a B6-4 for it's first flight and Nathan loved it. It had a great flight, although the shroud lines were twisted on the way down and the chute did not open till it was almost on the ground, but no damage was done. All in all it performed great.

DSCF2311.jpg

DSCF2312.jpg

DSCF2314.jpg

That really looks good DM, you knocked it out of the park.

Thanks, now I have a Super Neon I have to do a Ben Ten theme on for my four year old. All red too. I think I will paint this one and add decals though.

What a great rocket, Father and son build. That's what it's all about!!!
Great job on the graphics.

DM -- super job! When my girls were little, we did "Barbie" rockets. But computer technology was pretty minimal. Mostly it was a pink paint job and silver paint pen to decorate.

The important thing is getting involved in creative activities with the kids. They grow up very fast. I've got a granddaughter now, and I look forward to working on rockets with her in a few years.

Cool looking rocket and a happy child, it doesn't get any better than that.

My son, age 10, and I are both into rockets in a big way.

I also knew from the start I would spend more time with my kids than my dad did. Since half of me is still a kid it comes naturally.

DM, good luck to you and thanks.

Great job DM! Very creative. One happy Dad and sons. Rocketry and family fun at it's finest.:D

Thanks guys, I am finishing up my older boys Ben Ten rocket today hopefully. I had my fuel pump on my pickup go out last night at Wal Mart so I have to try to get that taken care of as well, but I set today as a finish day for his rocket and I plan on doing it.

Dm,
You picked fuel pump over rockets? C'mon were is your priorities.:)
But seriously maybe there could be a new forum on TRF.
The family rocket forum- Talking about family rocket builds, launches and interests.

Dude you did an excellent job on those decals! What paper did you print them on?

Thanks, I used standard printer paper. Just regular old white 20 lb printer paper.

Back