Ariane 5

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevem

Reaction score
Hey Gang,
Haven't posted in awhile but poke around here almost everyday just so I can keep up with you guys.
Been busy this summer with honey-do stuff but in between that and all the kids activities I managed to find time to scrape this thing together. (also still working on Sandman's Little Joe (pics soon)
I picked up a Heller Plastic Model of the Ariane 5 on eBay awhile back with the idea I'd use it as a reference to build a larger version. I came up with this, roughly 1/82 scale. I made most of the parts from scratch, including the offset nose cones.
All of the plastic detailing was done with scraps left over from the Estes V2 and Saturn V.
I am going to use HAKO Ballistics mini-booster strap-on hardware on this. Not sure about engines yet as I need to get detailing finished and see where CP is. I'm hoping I can get it stable without adding fins. We'll see. Right now the total wieght is just at 8oz. If I don't have to add a lot of nose weight I'm thinking I will fly it with C11-5 in the boosters and C6-5 in the main. I put an 18mm mmt in the sustainer mainly to try and keep a scale appearance. I'll use streamer reovery for the boosters. Boosters and Sustainer all have baffle systems installed.
Here's a pic of the model so far with the Heller plastic model on the left.

Stevem,
Wow! That's beautiful! I am sure you are going to need fins, though. How about clear plastic fins on the sustainer? I am curious to see how the HAKO strap on hardware works. Keep us posted.
Drew Tomko

thanks Drew - I am afraid you are right and I will need to put some type of fins on this thing. I have decided not to add the details that go on the bottom of the suatainer - there's like 3 round tanks that should be there but I don't want any more weight back there.
To me a flying scale rocket is a compromise between detail, time, and the fact that the rocket may be lost/destroyed on any given flight.
I received the HAKO hardware and mounted it last night - seems like good stuff. I'll post pics tonight when I get home.

If I have success with the strap-on boosters I'd like to try a Delta III.

There were a least a half dozen Arian-5's entered in PMC at Naram-46 in A C and Team divisions. Of the 6 I only recall two having successful flights. Take care with your clear polycarbonate fin placement and be sure to run a CP/CG check on the models. It is my understanding most of the models that didn't fair to well were set-up with a 1.5 caliber static margin... at least one of the 2 successful Arian-5 flights had a 2.5 caliber static margin.. I didn't get a chance to talk to the other modeler..
Hope this helps

thanks for the info Micro! I knew there had to be others who have modeled this one but I didn't really find anything on TRF search about anyone having built and flown this rocket.

Did the ones you saw all use strap-on boosters? very interested in anything else you may be able to tell me.

also, anyone used the HAKO strap-on stuff? would like to hear your expereinces, tips, tricks etc.

Most of the A division kids used .080 clear polycarbonate 3 section folded fins attached to the inboard side of each booster. most used a single core motor usually a C6. stable off the end of the rod but went unstable at about 15 to 20 up.

Some of the C and Team entirs were clusters. Most used 2 C6 motors in the boosters with a micro-maxx in the core (more cluster motor points. and ducted the ejection gas into the upper portion of the models One C divsion competitor actually tired to seperate the boosters in flight with the ejection charge from a micro-maxx motor beside the main motor in the core. This ALMOST worked; unfortunately the model went unstable just about the time the boosters were to seperate, they did jetison but the model crashed thus a DQ...Had this model flown I'm sure it would have kicked me out of 3rd place in the event. It was I very Neat idea.. but I'm thinking the complexity gremlin's got him.
I have the model but haven't done anything with them, I've seen a 3 motor clusted version fly very well. I think I have a pic, I'll post here.

mounted strap on hardware - this is Ray Dunnakin's HAKO Ballistics mini-booster hardware.
It definitley detracts from the scale appearance but as long as it works I don't mind a bit.

You can see in the pics that I have one booster all set up and attached with the other unattached and showing the unpainted 1/4" sq hardwood strip that attaches to the booster and engages the strap-on hardware.

Where does one go to get clear lexan or similar material to make clear fins? what is best way to attach clear plastic fins to a rocket? epoxy? 5min or 20min?

pics...

pic of aft booster hardware shows notch in 1/4" hardwood stringer that engages the pin in the aft bracket. Had to tweak this notch until I could get the booster to fall off the rocket without catching

pic of forward strap-on bracket. hook fits into slot on booster and the nose cone engages the hook inside the booster BT. The shoulder of my nosecones are BT-60 couplers...

Originally posted by stevem

Where does one go to get clear lexan or similar material to make clear fins? what is best way to attach clear plastic fins to a rocket? epoxy? 5min or 20min?

Im not sure what to do here . But what ever you do , do NOT use CA , it leaves that 'cloudy' white stuff around the root . And If you want to get rid , you might have to sandpaper it off , which would result in the lexan fin(s) more visable.
Karl

I almost had a good flight with a D12-3, but the motor kicked for a DQ and I broke a fin on landing. The second flight was a little squirrelly, but good enough for a qualified flight.

My idea for the second one is to use a BT-55 stuffer tube, to allow through the wall fin mounting. The stuffer tube would even allow mounting plates and rivets to be hidden.

Originally posted by stevem
pic of forward strap-on bracket. hook fits into slot on booster and the nose cone engages the hook inside the booster BT.

Ah ha! Now I see how Ray Dunakin's hardware works! (Sorry, a little slow.) I see what you mean about it detracting from the scale appearance. Do you think it would be possible to use slots in the sustainer both fore and aft and eliminate the stringer and aft hook? Seems like it might be possible to mate the booster and sustainer more closely.

I need to think this out some more...

Great looking model, though--too bad you need fins on her!

MetMan

You are going to build it so that a short time after lift off it explodes spectacularly raining burning, toxic debris down on small villages all over the region, aren't you?
Wish I had video of that explosion, it was awesome. Unless, of course, you happened to have lived in one of those villages.

Greg

EDIT: after searching high and low, scratching and clawing my way through mountains of material, and spending all of about 30 seconds looking, I found a video of the explosion. It isn't very good however, so back to the salt mines to find a better one.

Back