Ares 1 build question...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanel

Reaction score
I have been working on my 1st 2 Dr. Zooch kits - the Discoverer Thor and the Ares 1. Both are fun builds - the Thor is very straightforward. However, I have a question on the Ares... The instructions call for cutting several thin (1/16") thin strips of paper to simulate the SRB segment joints, but the spacing in the diagram and that given in the instructions don't jive?

Doc, can you clarify please?

And yes, I work for NASA :rolleyes: ( If you read the Ares instructions, you'll understand).

P.S. - Thank you, Mods. I can post again :D

Originally posted by Vanel
I have been working on my 1st 2 Dr. Zooch kits - the Discoverer Thor and the Ares 1. Both are fun builds - the Thor is very straightforward. However, I have a question on the Ares... The instructions call for cutting several thin (1/16") thin strips of paper to simulate the SRB segment joints, but the spacing in the diagram and that given in the instructions don't jive?

Doc, can you clarify please?

And yes, I work for NASA :rolleyes: ( If you read the Ares instructions, you'll understand).

P.S. - Thank you, Mods. I can post again :D

Have you tried e-mailing the Doc himself? I know he'll usually give direct, quick answers to questions concerning his kits. Since I don't have the kit nor the instructions, all I can say (from looking at pics of the model) is the segments joints looks ok.

Vanel- you are right- those instructions are confusing. Here's a photo of how my kit looks. The one seen on our web site is actually the prototype and so it has more rings than the stock kit.

Here's a close-up view. The 1/8 measurement is based on the centers of each band, but they simply need to be evenly spaced- notice that my own are not perfect.

No- because they keep changin' the blamed thing and not telling me! The kit is from a NASA request for model builders of the SDLVs back last fall. They had detailed information about how they wanted these models to look- so I used that. Now they've enlarged the second stage tank and given it a solid interstage. Every time NASA sends out a graphic of the darned thing it looks different- the only thing they won't do is put the fins back- which BTW I firmly believe they will have to return after LES testing (Lesson not learned from the Saturn I, Block I). And before anyone argues that- keep in mind that those handy RCS engines on the adapter take a moment to react- fins are always acting (NASA document MPR-M-SAT-61-5 MSFC July 17, 1961 sect.13 13-1). So I'm bettin' the fins are coming back, and so is ATK who, I'm told has a team of engineers currently working on fins for the Ares I. Anyhow, I may not change the kit until the real thing hits the pad... maybe then we'll know what it really looks like. Same for the Ares V. They keep messing with the interstage. Now it has this expand...contract...expand weirdness going...sheeesh!

Originally posted by Dr.Zooch
No- because they keep changin' the blamed thing and not telling me! The kit is from a NASA request for model builders of the SDLVs back last fall. They had detailed information about how they wanted these models to look- so I used that. Now they've enlarged the second stage tank and given it a solid interstage. Every time NASA sends out a graphic of the darned thing it looks different- the only thing they won't do is put the fins back- which BTW I firmly believe they will have to return after LES testing (Lesson not learned from the Saturn I, Block I). And before anyone argues that- keep in mind that those handy RCS engines on the adapter take a moment to react- fins are always acting (NASA document MPR-M-SAT-61-5 MSFC July 17, 1961 sect.13 13-1). So I'm bettin' the fins are coming back, and so is ATK who, I'm told has a team of engineers currently working on fins for the Ares I. Anyhow, I may not change the kit until the real thing hits the pad... maybe then we'll know what it really looks like. Same for the Ares V. They keep messing with the interstage. Now it has this expand...contract...expand weirdness going...sheeesh!
I'll admit that I haven't seen any recent pictures or much info at all. The only reason I knew that the vehicles had been named Ares I and Ares V is from a post from John Pursley on my club's Yahoo! group (https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Challenger498/).

If the real thing flies anything like the model they'll be doing well at NASA. This is the only model rocket I ever saw that takes a C6-7 and does not arc over in the delay- it just keeps going up and up and ejects while still going up. The only issue is that you MUST build it with that escape tower 100 % as straight as you can get it. Otherwise it tends to develope a little wiggle in the coast. It's a fast little bugger too. When I shot the first prototype, no one on the field even saw it and I found it takes a couple of flights before I trained my eye to follow it.

The current batch of kits will retain the "The Stick" moniker because I'm not going to rip off the labels and reprint them and I still have about 75 sets of instructions that I'm not going to trash. Of course when the real thing comes out- I can keep The Stick running as one of my upcoming "Coolest rockets NEVER built" line. I just like it because it's fairly easy to build and it flies well.

Mr. Pursley also mentioned the difficulty of creating a scale model of a rocket that is still in development. And given his penchant for highly-detailed, *exact* scale models, he probably won't get into modeling either of these rockets until they're ready to be flown.

Originally posted by Dr.Zooch
If the real thing flies anything like the model they'll be doing well at NASA. This is the only model rocket I ever saw that takes a C6-7 and does not arc over in the delay- it just keeps going up and up and ejects while still going up. The only issue is that you MUST build it with that escape tower 100 % as straight as you can get it. Otherwise it tends to develope a little wiggle in the coast. It's a fast little bugger too. When I shot the first prototype, no one on the field even saw it and I found it takes a couple of flights before I trained my eye to follow it.

The current batch of kits will retain the "The Stick" moniker because I'm not going to rip off the labels and reprint them and I still have about 75 sets of instructions that I'm not going to trash. Of course when the real thing comes out- I can keep The Stick running as one of my upcoming "Coolest rockets NEVER built" line. I just like it because it's fairly easy to build and it flies well.

Great call, Doc. "The Stick" moniker could very well become a
collector's item...

Yeeeessss... and thank God for e-bay!

I actually have the stock to do the current NASA depicted Ares I, and I may work on it just for fun. Who knows- I may turn it out just in time for the next change.:rolleyes:

Actually my next developmental kit will probably be the Atlas (which is waiting on some special order tubes). I had a prototype Atlas last year, but I had to scale it up to match the Redstone which is based in a T-50 tube. I'd like to have some special releases this fall.

Finished - here's a pic:

Zooch_Ares_1.jpg

Dudes, you gotta git yerselves one o' these! :D

Fly it and let us know what you see... it will likely be just a blur. The last few times I flew it no one even saw it go besides me and I have to admit my eyes have only been able to fully track it once.

Back