Are these Helicopters (and why does it matter?)-- Implications for High Power Chopper

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Attached are views of the Stretch Gyskelion, Regular Gyskelion, and the new and hopefully improved Hyp2Bsquared (Hip To Be Squared). Also a video of the Gyskelion. Next post will show pics of AirBrake Recovery Spyder.Gyskelion in Flight.jpgHyp2Bsquared01a.jpgStretch Gyskelion Reg Gyskelion Hyp2Bsquared01a.jpgStretch Gyskelion Reg Gyskelion Hyp2Bsquared02a.jpgStretch Gyskelion Reg Gyskelion Hyp2Bsquared03b.jpg

Here is the video of the original gyskelion. The last 15 seconds of the flight I think are particularly well visualized and worth watching.

[video=youtube;t41u3quyi5M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t41u3quyi5M[/video]
The question is, are these helicopters or airbrake recovery that spins? The reason it "matters" in this case is that I am seeking (and receiving) lots of help on a High Power helicopter, based on the engineering of these types of helos. I am looking for materials to make the larger blades. I think these helos are significantly different from "typical" helicopters. These are not airfoiled. The blades are simple flat plates of balsa, in fact in most case the edges are not even rounded, they are flat and square. The blades act more as plates than blades. The importance of this is that, as opposed to "typical" helicopter which are airfoiled and in which the LIFT is proporitional to velocity of rotation, in this case these don't necessarily have to spin at all (see Spyder in next post).

The implications are critical for weight and construction and safety purposes. As has been pointed out, a rapidly spinning large rotor has a lot of inertia and will probably break when it impacts the ground and would certainly be a hazard to spectators. A slowly moving flat plate is acting mainly as an AirBrake. Why does it work in these rockets? Because most of the rocket IS the airbrake. For the Gyskelion and Stretch, the ENTIRE rocket "body" or "fuselage" and the ENTIRE fin surface area functions as part of the Airbrake (okay, the motor mount and the retainers don't do squat, but they aren't very big.) The nose cone (really a pyramid) is made of paper. Hinges are duct tape and dental floss, weight next to nothing. Hub is a short balsa segment.

The rotors don't even have to be THAT strong, precisely because on the larger models they aren't spinning very fast. Strength on these rotors mainly needs to be strong enough that when the pull band lifts them in place they don't snap. Above all, these blades under this concept to NOT require any air foiling.

I guess this begs the question, has there been any High Powered Rocket with AirBrake recovery?

As always, hoping for input (and all previous input considered and appreciated----- considering fiberglass and carbon fiber, honeycombed stuff is out for cost considerations.) Hope this stimulates some discussion as well.

Last edited:
Here are some pics and videos of the Spyder (at least some of my Spyder Models) This is true AirBrake recovery with no spin (at least no INTENTIONAL spin!)

Spyder01.jpgSpyder02.jpgSpyder03TailViewDeployeda.jpg

Ground Video (turn the sound WAAAAAY down so you don't hear the babbling idiot)
[video=youtube;1gZnZKeE6cA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gZnZKeE6cA[/video]
Flight Video
[video=youtube;RZ-hbAs-zSA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ-hbAs-zSA[/video]

This is falling just a bit faster than similar size helicopters, BUT this also carries a camera AND the fins are intentionally at 90 degrees to try to PREVENT rotation.

Currently working on a pair of rockets that should distinguish how much if any rotation adds to the descent drag of this type of helicopter rockets. Basically one will be a close twin to the "Hyp2Bsquared". The other will also be a twin with NO angulation of the rotor (both will have the same dihedral.) The second rocket with no angulation PROBABLY will still spin bit because the fins do stick out sideways in the plane of the rotor.

I can't add anything but...wowwww.

Love how it came down right by your feet :)

Back