High-Altitude Recovery via "Return to Home" methods

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HyperSpeed

Reaction score
For some time now I have held onto the idea of a return-to-home, GPS-aided recovery system for one of my high-altitude projects such as a boosted-dart. As time moves forward, the feasibility of such a system increases as component costs to build the system decreases. I feel component technologies are well within the realm of practical ability to allow a return-to-home rocket to have great odds to succeed at this time. It still is a highly conceptual plan, though. Generally, I start highly conceptual plans on TRF as discussions to see if I can then make the leap to a functioning project which will benefit other flyers forever, or erase the idea completely if the persuasions convince me there is little to be gained by other flyers. Hopefully it's not one of these ideas: :angiefavorite:

I'm still a fan of conventional recovery methods, don't get me wrong; main parachutes will stay and tracking via LTE won't hurt a thing. But, rockets are going to return-to-home on their own given enough evolutionary hobby time, so I'm choosing to start trying now. :D

Anyways, let's get to the general concepts I have personally targeted as potential methods:

1. Deployable delta-wings, glider-style wings, or 'sponsons'

2. Deployable arms with motors+rotors/props A.K.A. a rocket-body drone, on the way down

3. Deployable Z-axis-centered collective pitch swashplate rotor A.K.A helicopter autorotation recovery

For method number 1, a large recovery stage of flight becomes effectively a "cruise rocket", referring to the idea that the aerodynamics would resemble a cruise missile (hold your stones). While I consider this an effective method of return in theory, I only imagine it effective while actively piloted by a human. Bad thoughts occur when I picture a hobby-grade flight computer landing a fragile object with high horizontal speed when things such as trees, tall grass, or rocky boulder-laced terrain becomes involved. I move to the next methods because of these reasons.

Method number 2 instills much similar ideas as method number 3; I picture much better landing outcomes regardless of terrain types with decreased horizontal velocities. Method 2 done properly would likely yield some of the slowest vertical decent velocities as well. However, being a powered decent method, weights increase along with costs.

I arrive through deductions of flight complexities that method number 3 could hold some merit as a rocket recovery method. Helicopters are able to build up kinetic energy in the main rotor via blade pitching, which can then be expelled as lifting energy near touchdown by pitching the blades into a lifting position, to slow touchdown velocity. Technically, a parachute of the proper type could use a swashplate to help return home (without the rotor), but I see less likelihood of a flight system handling those dynamics very well.

The main issues I see to initially test method number 3 primarily arise from the required stabilizing body size to prevent the rocket from spinning about the Z-axis instead of building rotor inertia. This is of course why helicopters have a tail. The good news is that the tail doesn't need to endure high air speeds, and as such could be rather lightweight to produce the required drag on the way down.

The question I'd like to ask is, has anyone witnessed an RC helicopter of rather large size autorotate without using tail power and tail pitch--just drag alone? I think this becomes one of the first problems to address in order to create a test setup method and take the idea further along.

Method 1 would work if used in conjunction with a main parachute deployment say around 100-200 feet would eliminate having to have a computer landing.

What about a steerable parachute?
However, if possible, I think method 1. would give the highest horizontal speed to overcome headwinds.

I've wondered about this quite a bit. Assuming a fairly large diameter rocket, you could build reasonably strong arms that spread at apogee and could be twisted by servo. Having two on opposite sides would allow them to either induce a roll rotation or a constant drag to one side. Something like grid fins but significantly longer.

I've looked into using a drone as part of a recovery and it would be difficult to do so. As a controlled "drone" the rules applying do drones apply. Meaning that you cannot fly them above 400ft. Meaning you would have to have drogue and main, then cut them away at 400ft to have the drone rocket fly to it's destination. If you were able to have the FAA allow higher altitude drone flights with the waiver applied for Rocketry then there would be no issue. Personally I would think a GPS controlled parafoil, parachute or similar would be the best method. As long as it's not powered flight then it's not considered a drone Heck, I believe apogee components sells something like that.

I have auto rotated with no tail as a result of tail rotor failure. As long as you keep speed up upon descent it is not too bad. But at landing switching to positive pitch the main body will rotate rapidly. landing usually will have tip over as the rotating skids get caught and will trash at least the main blades, feathering shaft and linkages.

Somebody launched a drone on a rocket at NSL 2019, but I don't remember the outcome of the flight.

A rocket with a steerable parafoil chute was launched at BALLS, returning to launch pad. Worked.

Apogee has been developing this for awhile....had a brief burst of frequent updates on it but haven’t had anything in awhile

MClark, any web links that you know of? I'd like to see the way the 'chute was setup, how far it returned, rocket size, and deployment altitude. Of course if you have any details from memory, it's all useful.

My primary concern with a steerable-parachute was avoiding a big tangle. I can picture how a skydiving parachute works, but imagining it functioning on a rocket is difficult until I can see something similar that's actually setup. Knowing that it's worked is exciting news, though.

Method number 3 admittedly grasped my imagination, but is also not as feasible as I'd like to believe. What seemed feasible was a fairly concentrated assembly of parts to control a swashplate with 2 servos; the blades would have to fold into the BT, but once deployed the idea of them spinning up seems a likely outcome. Landing a (potentially) spinning rocket when they pitch positive is another story though, as stated above.

I've seen flight computer systems that do control gliders--speaking about method number 1 again. These were systems for programmed, automated flight paths without anyone at the sticks, too. I'll have to see if I can find the specific ones I remember seeing and link to them. I imagine they are popping up all over the place nowadays after the phase of the drones hitting the R/C scene.

Oh, and what is it exactly that Apogee is developing?

I had an RC Sky Diver at one point. STD chute and line set up, only one servo. Hooked up to a tiller arm. Moved one way and it pulled on the right side lines to steer to the right. Pulled the other way it would steer to the left. Actually worked very well. Something like this would still use your std rocket main chute, limited moving parts. Only thing you might have to work out is keeping it from breaking at deployment.

People have been working on the steering chute idea for a while. I don't know if there's nothing out yet because they don't really work, or the cost is crazy, or what but it's clearly not a trivial nut to crack.

I still like the idea of a long Kevlar thread and a cinder block.......

Or putting your name, address, and cell phone number on the rocket......

I tried a RC steerable chute, and may try it again, but my biggest problem wasn't the tech, it was mother nature and chaos. I couldn't get a reliable non-tangled deployment of the chute.

When you can guarantee the steerable chute will deploy correctly every time (+99%), then you can use whatever tech you want to steer it back. The tech is the easy part.

Back