Apogee Saturn V

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MALBAR 70

More Rockets Than Room
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just started working on my Apogee Saturn V. I was hoping someone out there could give me the measurements for placement of the wraps on the main tube. There is supposed to be a sheet in the kit box identifying the wraps and giving measurements, but i don't seem to have one. I tried to contact Apogee but I haven't gotten a response.

There is a CD along with the 3 DVDs titled "Data Disk". Open the assembly instructions and in step #10 there is a page identifying the five wraps and their positions in inches. Mine is still in the build pile, so I'll be following your build with interest. Hope this helps.

EDIT: I just realized that this is not a build thread. How about a few pictures and updates along the way? Cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks kurikin, I'll have to see if I can find that disk.
Sorry no build thread, but I guess I can post some pictures as I go.
I don't have much done. As of now, I have the MMT built and installed, the nozzles built, painted and installed on the removable section. I have a few other small odds and ends done too.
I'll be starting on the wraps soon and went out today and picked up some styrene safe (I hope) CA.

Here's what I have done so far
The Apogee nozzle set is on the left the Estes is on the right for size.

Attachments

• 1108.JPG
    1108.JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 1109.JPG
    1109.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 182
  • 1110.JPG
    1110.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 1114.JPG
    1114.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 161
Third stage section, Die cut Balsa sheet; with faring/fin support parts and assembly, close up of parts and assembly, motor mount, forward end showing Kevlar harness, epoxied in main BT.

Attachments

• 1115.JPG
    1115.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 1117.JPG
    1117.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 1118.JPG
    1118.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 1111.JPG
    1111.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 110
Did you find CD with measurements?

If this helps, i built one and made some mods to launch on H motors and be a bit more resilient if hard impact occurred:

Apparently Apogee also put their build dvds on youtube as well:

bguffer, yes I did , thanks for asking.
Thanks for the videos too, gave me a good idea of what's to come.
Yours came out beautiful, how did she fly?

Launched it once on a G64, at field with no waiver, back in 2007. This was after I made modifications so it would handle H/I 29mm motors, which added wieght. So the G64 didn't get it up as far as a stock build. Launched in wind. My guess is 350-500' up. The rocket stayed vertical the entire time, never tilting into the wind. But the wind did blow the rocket away from the pad, on the way up. Really the only time i've ever seen wind grab hold of a rocket, and the rocket stays completely vertical. The delay was long, and separation occurred about 40-80' off ground, and neither chute got a chance to open.

There was decent amount of damage, but my overbuilding prevented damage from being worse than it would have been had i not overbuilt. For various reasons i retired the rocket and same scale Saturn 1B, so my Saturn V never flew again.

If i had it to do over again, i would have waited for opportunity to launch with an H motor, and i would pay extra attention to how i pack my chutes to ensure chutes open up. The long delay, small motor, and extra weight of overbuild are what really contributed to my recovery problems though.

There was a little fishtailing as well apparently:

Again, long delay, built overweight, and small motor are why recovery failed. ~15mph wind too.

Hello Mike,

I was one of the early "investors" on the Saturn V, pre-paying to help give Tim the wherewithal to get molds and parts made for it. I posted several times on rec.models.rockets (tells ya how long it's been!) some of the odds n ends that I ran into during construction. A friend of mine reposted those posts here, in case you haven't seen them:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/random-thoughts-on-the-apogee-saturn-v.77271/

It's a beautiful model. Haven't flown mine, and I'm not sure if I ever will, having lost or busted so many other rockets over the years.

Best -- Terry

Has anyone built this kits on a cluster of 4 or 5 motors? Not sure what I would cluster it with? Maybe (4) 24mm's and (1) 29mm?? I have to agree it is a beautiful kit and well designed and the fact that you have construction videos to help you during the build process is a big advantage.

It has been clustered. There is a report on one of the Apogee News letters.

Latest posts

Back