Anyone Use Tinder Rocketry Ejection Charge Wells?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, but they are on the list for my next larger bird. I love the idea of a burst diaphragm that is fairly consistent without worrying if your tape is degraded from heat or dust, common on our western test ranges. The poster putty is available at most dollar stores and the water bottle caps, well, duh. O rings may be redundant.

Thinking about it and without seeing it in hand, the O rings could be serving double duty to bind the ematches together and increase friction to prevent them from moving in the hole. think the o rings and putty might be a "belt and suspenders" approach to protecting the electronics. The instructions say to spread the wires of a single match or spread the wires of 2 matches apart to create a mechanical strain relief.

I'm curious why they don't recommend just one e-match. Are they afraid that it will be too loose in the channel it passes through?

Last edited:
I'm curious why they don't recommend just one e-match. Are they afraid that it will be too lose in the channel it passes through?
I guess they giving the instructions for "Double FireBird Charge Well" where you can connect the e-match for the main and the backup altimeter.
If you use only one e-match, the hole where the e-match cable passes through is not tightend and you would need to install an additional O-ring to prevent the ejection chrarge being blown partially into your e-bay.

I'm curious why they don't recommend just one e-match. Are they afraid that it will be too lose in the channel it passes through?
Hey DarrenF, I always recommend for two e-matches to be used in all Tinder Rocketry devices used in flight, for redundancy only. All Tinder Rocketry devices work with a single e-match. If you are comfortable using a single e-match for flight, then go for it!

I guess they giving the instructions for "Double FireBird Charge Well" where you can connect the e-match for the main and the backup altimeter.
If you use only one e-match, the hole where the e-match cable passes through is not tightend and you would need to install an additional O-ring to prevent the ejection chrarge being blown partially into your e-bay.
Hi Chrocket, You got the first part right on! One e-match to each of the redundant altimeters. If you use only one e-match however, you will still load these things as directed and that is with putty and only one o-ring. I have tested this method to VERY high pressure and this method works well even when using only one e-match!

Hey DarrenF, I always recommend for two e-matches to be used in all Tinder Rocketry devices used in flight, for redundancy only. All Tinder Rocketry devices work with a single e-match. If you are comfortable using a single e-match for flight, then go for it!
Just placed an order. Can't wait to try them!

These look great, but I wouldn't want to litter the range with spent bottle caps. I might try them at some point but 3D print a cap that the BP charge would blow through instead of blowing it off, so I could remove them afterwards and throw them in the recycling.

These look great, but I wouldn't want to litter the range with spent bottle caps. I might try them at some point but 3D print a cap that the BP charge would blow through instead of blowing it off, so I could remove them afterwards and throw them in the recycling.
I was thinking of tethering them with some thin kevlar string so as not to lose them.

If you make a small slit in the middle of the bottle cap with an xacto knife, it will still function just fine (assuming you packed the cannister with dog barf on top of the charge...) and the charge will blow through the cap without blowing it off. I have been doing this for the past year or more and it works well.

If you make a small slit in the middle of the bottle cap with an xacto knife, it will still function just fine (assuming you packed the cannister with dog barf on top of the charge...) and the charge will blow through the cap without blowing it off. I have been doing this for the past year or more and it works well.
Interesting, so once fired is that cap usable again or is it one and done?
Thanks

With these you just connect the leads from the match directly to the terminal block of the altimeter - right?
Hey Dave, That is the design intent. Connect directly to the altimeter and eliminate other connections/terminal blocks and at the same time, clean up the top side of the bulkhead!

Back