Anyone interested in airframe Radial Drill Guides

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The price was over twice my goal price. I haven't thought of 3D printing because I wanted a more part. I could print out of some polymers on Shapeways, but I'd rather have it out of aluminum. Something that if the drill bit slipped or bushing heated up you wouldn't ruin your guide.

Edit: Just uploaded to Shapeways for a quick quote - even more then 6061 anodized aluminum.
Edit Again: I think I'm going to re-work the design to see if I can reduce the length - this would give a better price.

Edward

Last edited:
I'm currently getting a couple of friends shops to quote these for 75mm. 3.75" OD, 3.5" ID and would be 4" long with 2 sets of holes- one for 2,4,8 equally spaced and one for 3,6 equally spaced. IF I can get the price down a bit I'd want to get some firm pre-orders before I pull the trigger. I think $20 isn't going to happen, but I can see it happening hopefully $30-$35.

Edward

This is for 75mm - prices would go up for larger (98mm) and down a bit for smaller (54mm, 38mm)

Edward

I had a price quote on this, but I'm still not convinced this is the best way to do this. It requires a specialized tool for each diameter. I could sell them for ~$40 each. That is a large investment for something like this.

I'm really not sure if it is worth it - my minimum to get this price is 25, which is a lot in parts.

I've wondered if there is a way to create a jig that could be used across multiple airframe diameters - something that was in the $100 price range.

Edward

I've decided to tackle this problem from another direction. For 2,4 or 8 holes I've come up with a piece of angle. It is 6-inches long and the legs are 4x4. 1-inch from one end are spaced holes for drilling perpendicular for various diameters. Both legs are the same. This way you can drill your first hole, then use the guide to go around and drill the rest. The 3 or 6 hole guide is 1/4" piece of plate bent at 120 degrees with the same markings.

I tested out the 90 degree one and it worked nicely. It also was able to go near the edge and in the middle because the piece could be moved easier. It also self centered. This was something I didn't like about the other jig - having to manually center it.

If people are still interested I'll get quotes for the new ones. Also, I'll probably need someone to beta test one before I actually pull the trigger on a production run.

Edward

I can post the 3D models that I made the part from soon. The thing that appeals to me more about this guide is that two guides provide guide holes for 1,2,3,4,6 or 8 radially drilled holes on 38mm, 54mm, 64mm 75mm, 98mm 5.5", 6" and 7.5" airframes. Much more versatile than having a jig for each diameter.

Edward

Latest posts

Back