Anyone interested in airframe Radial Drill Guides

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptrocketry

Reaction score
Hey All,

Would anyone be interested in radial drill guides for airframes. You would be able to drill 1,2,3,4 or 6 precise pilot holes (#43 drill) in your airframe. These could be for shear pins, avionics vent holes or electronics bay anchor bolts. Or whenever you need to accurately space holes around your airframe. It would slide over your airframe before painting when you are drilling everything. It might take a wrap of masking tape to tighten up due to airframe tolerance variances.

The price for the 3",4" guides would be $5, for 5.5" and 6" would be $7.50, for 7.5" $10.

In addition to the guide you would need a spacer set (9 spacers, 3 extras) for the drill bit and a #43 drill bit. This would cost $5.

Here is a picture of the jig.

Please let me know if there is any interest.

Thank you!

RadialDrillGuide.jpg

Cool idea...but I tend to use fins to align my holes :)

Braden

I generally use a paper wrap of some sort, but when I needed interchangeable electronics bays I had to develop something like this.

What sizes would people be interested in?

Would it be available in 38mm?

Also what do you use to make sure the holes are aligned evenly?

I made a jig to make them - it was set up using a dividing head to get all the spacing exact. Then each centering ring is inserted, locked down and a pass is made with a router.

I might do 38mm - haven't made anything that size in a long time.

It might take a wrap of masking tape to tighten up due to airframe tolerance variances.

Good idea. Rather than tape, you could drill/tap 3 or 4 holes around the circumference of the jig and use some adjustment screws to take up the slack.

I've thought of that, but then that starts to get very finicky and the cost goes up adding screws and parts. Masking tape is cheap and easy.

Edward

I made a jig to make them - it was set up using a dividing head to get all the spacing exact. Then each centering ring is inserted, locked down and a pass is made with a router.

I might do 38mm - haven't made anything that size in a long time.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the reply - I'll start producing a few and getting them out to people then.

Hey All,

Would anyone be interested in radial drill guides for airframes. You would be able to drill 1,2,3,4 or 6 precise pilot holes (#43 drill) in your airframe. These could be for shear pins, avionics vent holes or electronics bay anchor bolts. Or whenever you need to accurately space holes around your airframe. It would slide over your airframe before painting when you are drilling everything. It might take a wrap of masking tape to tighten up due to airframe tolerance variances.

The price for the 3",4" guides would be $5, for 5.5" and 6" would be $7.50, for 7.5" $10.

In addition to the guide you would need a spacer set (9 spacers, 3 extras) for the drill bit and a #43 drill bit. This would cost $5.

Here is a picture of the jig.

Please let me know if there is any interest.

Thank you!

View attachment 138225

Great idea, I'd be interested in a complete set with the spacers.

What happened to this? I could really use a 6" airframe version of this right now.

There seems to be a real and viable market for this. Why have I never seen or heard of this before?

I'll draw up a set of CAD files for them if anyone wants. Let me know.

The interest expressed didn't meet the minimum demand for the product way back when. If there is more interest now I can take another look at producing these.

What sizes/number of holes are people interested in.

Edward

Latest posts

Back