Anyone have any random nerdy facts?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nozzle-less motors are practical for mixtures that don't chuff easily and have a fairly high burn rate. A longer core is needed for such motors.

The coring rod should leave around one diameter of un-cored propellant at the forward end to hold pressure. I didn't watch the whole video to see whether that was done.
Thanks!!
The sad thing isn't that this guy may win a Darwin. It's that impressionable youngsters will look at that and think "Hey, it looks easy, let's try it!" If they're lucky they'll merely have to explain the huge cloud of smoke throughout the house, and the burn marks on the kitchen ceiling. **IF** they're lucky...otherwise :(:haironfire:
I imagine that the cooking the propellant on a stove, part is a delicate process. That not many people will be able to do without exploding…

How NOT to make a sugar rocket..... Should be getting a Darwin award shortly. It's only a matter of time....

At least it wasn't a gas stove. I'm impressed that he could pour it freehand w/o making a mess.

I wonder if the occasional beer bottle in the background is a necessary part of the process.

Hans.

Last edited:
I wonder what the total impuse was as it was constructed and what it could have been with a proper case and nozzle?

It looks like a I or J to me, just looking at size and the flight video.
That'd sound plausible based on size, I think, if it had a proper nozzle. But I'm probably a lousy judge. Based on performance, given the weight of that thing, if it were an I (let alone a J) it would have gone out of sight, probably never to return. But I'm still probably a lousy judge.

It looks like a I or J to me, just looking at size and the flight video.

That'd sound plausible based on size, I think, if it had a proper nozzle. But I'm probably a lousy judge. Based on performance, given the weight of that thing, if it were an I (let alone a J) it would have gone out of sight, probably never to return. But I'm still probably a lousy judge.

Remember that sugar has something like half the specific impulse of APCP. It's probably one letter lower than you're thinking.

Nozzle-less motors are practical for mixtures that don't chuff easily and have a fairly high burn rate. A longer core is needed for such motors.

The coring rod should leave around one diameter of un-cored propellant at the forward end to hold pressure. I didn't watch the whole video to see whether that was done.

The sad thing isn't that this guy may win a Darwin. It's that impressionable youngsters will look at that and think "Hey, it looks easy, let's try it!" If they're lucky they'll merely have to explain the huge cloud of smoke throughout the house, and the burn marks on the kitchen ceiling. **IF** they're lucky...otherwise :(:haironfire:
He left double the diameter solid at the top, no issue there. MY only issue is HOW he melted the mixture, that wasn't the best method I have heard of...
Flight was cool, shame it wasn't a recoverable model...

An apple a day can keep the doctor away.
An apple a day can keep everyone away.. (if you throw it hard enough..)

anything can fly.. given enough force..

When scientists flew over Kansas with LIDAR and measured the topography, they found that it actually is flatter than a pancake.
I think even Colorado is flatter than a pancake, isn't it? Mountains look so imposing up close but are nothing compared to the size of a state.

The whole Earth is WAY smoother than a brand new billiard ball.
This is actually a common misconception based on the official regulation requirements for billiard balls. The balls must be 2.25 inches in diameter, +/- 0.005 inches, but that +/- 0.005 inches doesn't equate to that being the deviation from roundness or height between pits and peaks but rather the tolerance of the OD; instead the distance between peaks and pits is more like 1 to 5 microns (0.0000004 inches roughly on the low end). Scaling a billiard ball up to the size of the Earth (6371 km diameter) puts the scale of pits and peaks on the order of 43.9 meters or 144 ish feet, compared to 10.9 km for challenger deep or 8.85 km for Mt Everest. Going the other way, scaling down Earth to the size of a billiard ball, the highest/lowest points would be sudden bumps on the order of 200 microns, which is definitely enough to feel but you might have a hard time seeing.

TIL (from Wikipedia) the kilogram is now defined in terms of the second, the speed of light, and the meter. In this vein, Planck's constant has been defined as exactly 6.62607015e−34 kg⋅m^2⋅s^(−1)

Previously the kilogram was defined as the mass of a lump of platinum-iridium alloy. Unfortunately, the international standard kilogram and its replicas had diverged by 50 micrograms since their manufacture.

There were several efforts to define the kilogram in terms of an object that could be replicated in any lab with the requisite equipment. One in particular that I recall from teaching days was supposed to be the mass of a sphere of silicon-28 of a particular diameter. Spherical objects can be constructed with extreme accuracy***. One such prototype was sufficiently smooth that, expanded to the size of Earth, the highest and lowest elevations would have been a few meters apart. Apparently that kind of definition has gone by the wayside.

***Constructing a telescope mirror or lens takes advantage of the ease of making a spherical surface. Two disks of glass are rubbed together with abrasive between them. The only ways the two can remain in contact are if both are planar, or if one is convex and the other concave. By suitable grinding and polishing strokes, even in beginner's hands, a surface that is spherical to within a few tens of nanometers can be made.

PTFE (aka Teflon) undergoes a phase change at a particular temperature, changing both reflectivity and physical dimension as the temperature boundary is crossed. This makes things tricky if you are using it in spectrometers. What temperature does this occur at? A rather convenient (not
🙃) 19*C (66*F). So if the lab temperature changes a degree you can actually have to re-calibrate your spectrometer.

Back