Anyone have any random nerdy facts?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about some rocket trivia?

The Tiamat (Hughes JB-3) was the first research missile launched at Wallops Island.

Last edited:
Contrary to what is normally taught in school physics lessons, throwing an object through the air does not result in a parabolic flight path. The resultant path is actually elliptical, and is a small section of an orbit around the center of mass, albeit interrupted with hitting the ground. Fitting it to a parabola is just an approximation :) .

Here in Nevada and 45 minutes from Pahrump is French Man Flats. It looks like the Moon with craters every where. In the 60's the flash of an atomic bomb going off could been seen in Vegas. Pahrump is a very interesting place.

the way the sport Golf got named was when GOLF was invented it was intended for men only, females were not allowed to play
So a sign was posted at GOLF events "Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden" aka = GOLF

Here in Nevada and 45 minutes from Pahrump is French Man Flats. It looks like the Moon with craters every where. In the 60's the flash of an atomic bomb going off could been seen in Vegas. Pahrump is a very interesting place.

Didn't they have a Miss Atomic Bomb contest in Vegas?

Was not Vegas the most Irradiated city from Atom Bomb tests?

Eating an ounce of chocolate per day likely exceeds California's recommended maximum intake of lead and cadmium.

(This is, in fact verified by a Harvard University study published last year.)

Last edited:
This is so that they help spread the seeds of the plant.
And also why we buy "Flaming Squirrel Sauce" to mix in with our bird feeders. The birds aren't bothered but the squirrels sure are. But you need to be careful. You do NOT want to get it on your finger and then rub your face or eyes... even after you wash your hands.

Ask me how I know.

Been there, done that.

1000006089.jpg

And also why we buy "Flaming Squirrel Sauce" to mix in with our bird feeders. The birds aren't bothered but the squirrels sure are. But you need to be careful. You do NOT want to get it on your finger and then rub your face or eyes... even after you wash your hands.

Ask me how I know.

Been there, done that.

View attachment 641225
For those of us in aviation and have had experience with it...It can't be worse than skydrol.
I've had pepper spray (training) and skydrol. Skydrol was so much worse!
Not only will it make your eyes slam shut in .00001 of a second, it irritates the hell out of your skin!

Ask me how I know.

Been there, done that.

View attachment 641225
That's why we buy bird seed already coated like that. (But I have done it after dicing habaños for recipes.) 1713462450932.png 1713462704632.png

Last edited:

Ask me how I know.

Been there, done that.

View attachment 641225
That picture on the bottle!! 😂 🤣

Ask me how I know.

Been there, done that.

View attachment 641225

I just shot my drink from my nose.

Does anybody know? I've also heard that some towns in southwest Utah also got a lot of fallout dust.

I could find Frenchman's Flat on google maps, northwest of LV. The small towns of sw Utah are ENE of Frenchman's Flat, so it would depend on the direction of the prevailing winds. LV is certainly a lot closer.

Ask me how I know.

Been there, done that.

View attachment 641225

How is it on tacos or eggs? The label says it is food grade habanero and sunflower oil. Sounds tasty.

Ask me how I know.

Been there, done that.

Or pee standing up.

Didn't they have a Miss Atomic Bomb contest in Vegas?

Yes. Miss Atomic Bomb. There were ladies hair styles in the shape of a mushroom cloud. There were drinks too. There is a picture I remember of Vegas Vic the cowboy at night with the sky lite up behind him. Vegas Vic was about two stories tall and in front of the Horse Shoe in the old part of town, IIRC.

Last edited:
Back