Anyone from Toronto or GTA?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AstroNom

Reaction score
Hello!

I was wondering if there are people from Toronto or GTA? Maybe we can organize a launch for low power?:handshake:
There are a few places that can be tried before we get kicked out by angry neighbors:no:

Hello!

I was wondering if there are people from Toronto or GTA? Maybe we can organize a launch for low power?:handshake:
There are a few places that can be tried before we get kicked out by angry neighbors:no:

Maybe if you go ask them before they will not be angry , I have not yet fall on a farmer who say no to me.

I've never launched from anyone's property. Got :no::no: from fire department in a park.
So you just drive up to a random farm house and ask if you can launch a rocket from his property?

other than NAPAS.net and Cambridge Rocketry Club, no local clubs. A field is the problem.

As for NAPAS cancelling their launches this year, it has been a bad year so far. But this is due to circumstances beyond the club's control.

Any chance for the answer? Maybe we could use what you do to find our field?

Later this fall my and my partner will try to locate a field between Montreal and Toronto, I will have to check first what clear the reserved airspace, after check Google and then go visit the farmers, it's abnormal that Ontario as no launches

To clarify a few points, NAPAS is the only high power club in Southwestern Ontario. We are affiliated with Tripoli. We have had a bad year, mostly due to weather but occasionally due to our landowner having conflicting activities happening on his farm. Typically we have 4 or 5 high power launches per year.

The Ottawa Rocketry group www.ottawa-rocketry.org has scheduled monthly launches. I'm not sure if they do high power any more. Cambridge Rocket Club www.cambridgerocketclub.org has monthly low and mid power launches. There is one next Sunday Oct 20. They have several really nice sod farms they use.

There was an attempt to organize something at Downsview airport a few years ago but it never got off the ground.

If you want any further information about NAPAS or Cambridge, feel free to PM me.

Kevin Fraser
NAPAS president

What happened to the CRS (Canadian Rocket Society), out of Toronto? I think they were operating as part of MAAC

They lost their field north of Toronto a few years back due to wind turbines. They now have occasional launches jointly with Cambridge Rocket Club at the Cambridge field, but are largely inactive.

I have permission to use an organic multi-crop field here in beautiful downtown Strathaven Ontario, about two hours north-west from T.O. It's getting a bit mushy this time of year, but you'd likely be welcome to come up in the spring before the hay gets too high, and there would be other opportunities later on after each successive cut of hay is taken off. The field is a low power field, good for engines up to C I'd say (wind permitting), with Ds possible in rockets with streamers (Goblin!) or reefed chutes.

View attachment 150701

The only problem is that as an organic farm field, the nicest days for launching can sometimes result in cancellations due to the application of liquid animal nutrient. Hence the name for the range: "Cape Poop On The 'Chute"!:D

I have permission to use an organic multi-crop field here in beautiful downtown Strathaven Ontario, about two hours north-west from T.O. It's getting a bit mushy this time of year, but you'd likely be welcome to come up in the spring before the hay gets too high, and there would be other opportunities later on after each successive cut of hay is taken off. The field is a low power field, good for engines up to C I'd say (wind permitting), with Ds possible in rockets with streamers (Goblin!) or reefed chutes.

View attachment 150701

The only problem is that as an organic farm field, the nicest days for launching can sometimes result in cancellations due to the application of liquid animal nutrient. Hence the name for the range: "Cape Poop On The 'Chute"!:D

:jaw:This is one huge field in the picture! Isn't it big enough for mid power?

:jaw:This is one huge field in the picture! Isn't it big enough for mid power?
One might think so, but apparently not. The same afternoon that the photo was taken I loaded a sacrificial Athena up with what I THOUGHT was a B6-4. But because I was momentarily distracted by something, I think I must have accidentally loaded it with a C6-5. The Athena shot up off the pad like a saint in the Rapture, weathercocked nicely into a stiffening gust of wind and proceeded downrange for what seemed like an inordinately long period of time before finally reaching apogee and popping its little chute.

No problem, I thought, with the added altitude it should drop down quite close to the pad.

Nope.

I watched in mounting distress as it sailed right past me while still high overhead and proceeded to drift over the drainage ditch and into the as-yet-unharvested soybean field that you might just be able to see in the far left midline of the picture. My teenage son and I triangulated the LZ as best we could, but after a long and fruitless search along the edge of the soy field we decided that in all but the calmest of weather "Cape Poop On The 'Chute" was likely best limited to LPR.

Update - The weather has been so wet up here lately that the soybeans still hasn't been harvested, so I may yet find a stray nosecone or fin can when -- or if -- the crop is taken off. Thankfully I had not loaded an altimeter into the sacrificial Athena, so the $ loss is only minor.:blush:

I am a new member of NAPAS and while it is true we are just coming off a bad year for launches, I am optimistic that 2014 will be better. The club is aware of their launch site limitations and discussing ways to have more success.

I am also a member of a small group of 5 and we have access to a good sized field for low and mid power. The filed is about an hour and a half outside Toronto and I am coming from Yonge and Eg. We are planning a launch for Jan 4th or the 11th.

PM me for more info

Last edited:
I am a new member of NAPAS and while it is true we are just coming off a bad year for launches, I am optimistic that 2014 will be better. The club is aware of their launch site limitations and discussing was to have more success.

I am also a member of a small group of 5 and we have access to a good sized field for low and mid power. The filed is about an hour and a half outside Toronto and I am coming from Yonge and Eg. We are planning a launch for Jan 4th or the 11th.

PM me for more info

PM sent, Thanks!!!

Come on down to Potter NY. URRG Our field is a great place to fly. 2 hrs from the border. Lets do it 24 k waiver its like gold.
I love New York! Literally!! I just don't like crossing the river on those big, high bridges anymore.:y:
Anyone know of a good way from southern Ontario into upstate NY via a safe and sane low bridge, or maybe a tunnel?

The peace Bridge in Buffalo is a low one other than that I think you would have to boat it or rocket pack. 22 second flight time might get you across. LOL. Take thruway 90 east 1.5 hrs exit 44 then 30 mins county roads finger lake region and your there.

One might think so, but apparently not. The same afternoon that the photo was taken I loaded a sacrificial Athena up with what I THOUGHT was a B6-4. But because I was momentarily distracted by something, I think I must have accidentally loaded it with a C6-5. The Athena shot up off the pad like a saint in the Rapture, weathercocked nicely into a stiffening gust of wind and proceeded downrange for what seemed like an inordinately long period of time before finally reaching apogee and popping its little chute.

No problem, I thought, with the added altitude it should drop down quite close to the pad.

Nope.

I watched in mounting distress as it sailed right past me while still high overhead and proceeded to drift over the drainage ditch and into the as-yet-unharvested soybean field that you might just be able to see in the far left midline of the picture. My teenage son and I triangulated the LZ as best we could, but after a long and fruitless search along the edge of the soy field we decided that in all but the calmest of weather "Cape Poop On The 'Chute" was likely best limited to LPR.

Update - The weather has been so wet up here lately that the soybeans still hasn't been harvested, so I may yet find a stray nosecone or fin can when -- or if -- the crop is taken off. Thankfully I had not loaded an altimeter into the sacrificial Athena, so the $ loss is only minor.:blush:

I launch on my parents' 100 acres just south of Chesley and while I don't have the poop problem (usually... A November launch did hit a sprayed field but it was fortunately frozen at the time) but all the neighbours love their soy beans and I lost a Ventris to them last year.

Hopefully NAPAS has a few more launches this year. I enjoyed the one I attended as a spectator last June (July?). Next time I'll remember sunscreen.

Last edited:
The peace Bridge in Buffalo is a low one other than that I think you would have to boat it or rocket pack. 22 second flight time might get you across. LOL. Take thruway 90 east 1.5 hrs exit 44 then 30 mins county roads finger lake region and your there.
Rocket pack? Yeah, now you're talking!! Although propulsion grade hydrogen peroxide is really hard to source these days, diluted down a bit it works really nicely for whitening your teeth!
Thanks for the tip about the Peace Bridge!

Back