Any other musicians out there?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyM

Reaction score
ok, this has nothing to do with rocketry, but I'm excited so I want to share.

I started playing bass when I was 15 (almost 35 years ago...man I'm getting old) and was lucky enough to buy a Rickenbacker in 1978. I was told it was a 1968 model when I bought it. Played it for many years, but I know it was worth more than average, so I started gigging with my "cheaper" basses. I haven't played in quite some time, but my son is starting to get interested in playing now. Got out the 68 to play in in order to give him some lessons, and was curious to find out more about it so I ran the serial number. Hard to believe, but it's really a 1964 4001!! :D:D:D:D

I've been posting on a Rickenbacker forum and it sounds like this bass is really rare and could go for as much as $10k. I paid $325 for it in 78! I wish rocket stuff would gain value like that.

Here's a pic of it.
DSCF6443.jpg

Very Nice !!!

Also play bass, I have an old Peavy I am redoing and an Epiphoe Les Paul

Here were my 2 pro guitars. Came out of the 60's & 70's. Both were stolen. The Aria Pro II was a sweetheart of a mandolin.

SG Les Paul 2.jpg

SG.jpg

GB Mandolin.jpg

me - musician AND bass player (of similiar vintage too!)

what I've got to say about your bass - ummm..........ah......wha.............................dang!
(that there is something special)

Here's my special Ric - 1987 4003 "Tuxedo" (or Whitestar)

my ric tux.jpg

I'm a music teacher. I started playing trumpet at age 11, and my father picked up his old Conn Constellation to play duets with me. I still play on the 1979 Bach Stradivarius I bought when I was 13 (bought it used but mint condition in 1993), I have Dad's Constellation in my possession, and I even have my great grandfather's 100 year old cornet. Now I spend more time conducting and arranging songs for my bands, but I pull the Strad out from time to time to play at church or in a community band.

I'm a music teacher. I started playing trumpet at age 11, and my father picked up his old Conn Constellation to play duets with me. I still play on the 1979 Bach Stradivarius I bought when I was 13 (bought it used but mint condition in 1993), I have Dad's Constellation in my possession, and I even have my great grandfather's 100 year old cornet. Now I spend more time conducting and arranging songs for my bands, but I pull the Strad out from time to time to play at church or in a community band.

Cool, I used to play trumpet as well. Tried talk my son into playing it when he started playing in band, but decided to play baritone. Bought an old Conn from a friend of mine for the price of shipping it to me. My old trumpet, an Olds, needs a little work, but I'm going to take it to a guy in town that does great work for a reasonable price. That one has to be from the late 60's or early 70's.

Looked up the serial on my trumpet (ain't the Internet cool) and it was actually made around 1957!

Another musician here. Just dabble with guitar/bass/piano, but I'm a sax player at heart. Got involved in the Jazz band with the tenor back when I was in middle-school in the mid 90s and kept with it through college. Wound up also playing the bassoon. Started that in high-school and it wound up getting me into a school I would otherwise have not gotten into! Haven't picked up the sax in a few years, but this may spark me to get it going again! Gotta find a jazz group around here to get involved in :cool:

Cool, I used to play trumpet as well. Tried talk my son into playing it when he started playing in band, but decided to play baritone. Bought an old Conn from a friend of mine for the price of shipping it to me. My old trumpet, an Olds, needs a little work, but I'm going to take it to a guy in town that does great work for a reasonable price. That one has to be from the late 60's or early 70's.
I wish I had taken up horn or maybe trombone. It just seems like everybody and their mother plays the trumpet. Also, I noticed that my chops last twice as long when I play euphonium (great way to get into the brass ensemble in college, and community bands love me).

I'm not sure how far across the border they are from you, but Michigan stole 2 of our best brass experts: Bob Malone and Ken Larson. If Bob Reeves moves, I'm screwed!

Oh, and I'd bet your Olds is the Ambassador model? That is quite a popular horn for professionals, both to play stock and to chop up and use parts on custom horns.

Just did a sit in gig on New Year's Eve, first time back out there in almost 15 years! Man did that feel good! :D

Nice bass Randy. With your permission I can send that pic of it off to a few collectors I know in the Detroit area for their opinions on it as well.

Here's me dogging it on my favorite 'frankensteiner' guitar.....Old recycled Aria Pro body, original Floyd trem (blocked of course), a Warmoth neck and EMG 81's. Lots of miles on that chunk and many road stories to go with it. GO WINGS!

:cool:

400199_192697880825943_100002571969819_349545_1094012867_n.jpg

375301_192698497492548_100002571969819_349575_1021863824_n.jpg

403035_192697900825941_100002571969819_349546_366473972_n.jpg

Last edited:
Ex drummer here....used to play in a heavy metal band, blues band, electro pop band and a punk band at various times.

Even cut an LP once but it bever went anywhere.

You might be surprised at what guitars cost these days if they are older ones. I saw an article recently where Gibson were bemoaning the lack of hardwoods and saying how exepensive their supply had become. I think youll also find they are under investigation for allegedll illegal cutting down of trees. Thats all helping to make older guiters very pricey.
I saw a 67 Fender strat in a musiv shope recently and I cant remember what they were asking for it because I fainted :)

Its the same for oder Ludwig sets of drums. i wish now I had kept an old Ludwig Classic set in silver sparkle.

Older syants a few years ago were in demand as well with people paying crazy money for Korg Poly 800s and similar.

I gave it all up aged 36. I always said if I had made no money, had no acclaim I would stop at 36 before I started looking sac. Thats what I did. Day after36th birthday took the lot to a music store and sold it all off.

Just did a sit in gig on New Year's Eve, first time back out there in almost 15 years! Man did that feel good! :D

Nice bass Randy. With your permission I can send that pic of it off to a few collectors I know in the Detroit area for their opinions on it as well.

Here's me dogging it on my favorite 'frankensteiner' guitar.....Old recycled Aria Pro body, original Floyd trem (blocked of course), a Warmoth neck and EMG 81's. Lots of miles on that chunk and many road stories to go with it. GO WINGS!

:cool:

ok, Jim. The whole guitarist thing explains a lot about you! :D Now I understand! :D:D

I would certainly be interested in what some collectors would be interested paying for it. Not sure I want to sell it yet, but that may change depending in what they say. I figure it will be worth even more 10 years from now. I do need to get it appraised and on the homeowners policy though.

You'll have to let me know when you're playing a gig. I might be able to make it up that way.

...ok, here we go. I had an older one than that stolen from me back in the '80's. 4000 Bass(not 4001). Clear finish with a flame maple body, a 1 piece neck instead of 3, what was called zipper binding which consisted of a two layer binding strip that was solid white on the outside an a black and white checker strip on the inside, making it look like a zipper. The neck pickup was a 6 string pickup turned upside down. Instead of having an inlay position marker the triangle ran from the fingerboard binding on one side to the other and looked like Champaine Sparkle cocktail drum sparkle. I've see two like it. 1 was behind Cris Squire of "Yes" on a stand and the 2nd was behind Paul McCartney.

I couldn't really tell what the serial number was: it was double struck. It was either K556 or K566. I know it went from a pawn shop in Caldwell, a bass player I know bought. I think he knew it was mine because it went to Portland where it went towards the purchase of another bass. I didn't find out about that for about 3 years later when a mutual friend told me about the bass. He was with Danny when he traded it off. I don't know if it was Karma or not but not long after Danny sawed half his left hand off...

The trail had grown cold. I still have hopes of finding it, it's still mine. I have the police report. It's like the people that get their stolen Camaro's back, the car belongs to the person it was stolen from.

I wish I had taken up horn or maybe trombone. It just seems like everybody and their mother plays the trumpet. Also, I noticed that my chops last twice as long when I play euphonium (great way to get into the brass ensemble in college, and community bands love me).

I'm not sure how far across the border they are from you, but Michigan stole 2 of our best brass experts: Bob Malone and Ken Larson. If Bob Reeves moves, I'm screwed!

Oh, and I'd bet your Olds is the Ambassador model? That is quite a popular horn for professionals, both to play stock and to chop up and use parts on custom horns.

Lafayette is down in the middle left of the state, so we are a ways from Michigan, but when I was kid, I lived in South Bend and we had a house on 31 North about 2 miles south of the boarder.

Yep, it's an Ambassador. My parents bought it for me when i had proven I was serious about playing. I also had a Conn Cornet that my brother had before me. He took it back about 10 years ago and gave it away to a school. That was a really nice horn too, but the Olds had a much warmer tone.

Once I started playing bass, my interested in the trumpet started to go away. Me and my drummer got kicked out of band my Junior year for not going to a football game during marching band season in order to go to a Yes concert. Our school band wasn't that good so it wasn't really that big of a loss. It's too bad though, I really did enjoy playing trumpet. Was first or second chair most of the time.

Ahh, the memories.

...ok, here we go. I had an older one than that stolen from me back in the '80's. 4000 Bass(not 4001). Clear finish with a flame maple body, a 1 piece neck instead of 3, what was called zipper binding which consisted of a two layer binding strip that was solid white on the outside an a black and white checker strip on the inside, making it look like a zipper. The neck pickup was a 6 string pickup turned upside down. Instead of having an inlay position marker the triangle ran from the fingerboard binding on one side to the other and looked like Champaine Sparkle cocktail drum sparkle. I've see two like it. 1 was behind Cris Squire of "Yes" on a stand and the 2nd was behind Paul McCartney.

I couldn't really tell what the serial number was: it was double struck. It was either K556 or K566. I know it went from a pawn shop in Caldwell, a bass player I know bought. I think he knew it was mine because it went to Portland where it went towards the purchase of another bass. I didn't find out about that for about 3 years later when a mutual friend told me about the bass. He was with Danny when he traded it off. I don't know if it was Karma or not but not long after Danny sawed half his left hand off...

The trail had grown cold. I still have hopes of finding it, it's still mine. I have the police report. It's like the people that get their stolen Camaro's back, the car belongs to the person it was stolen from.

Man, that sucks! From what you're saying, it sounds like it could be a late 50's or very early 60's model. Here is the forum I've been using to find out more about mine. https://www.rickresource.com/forum/
These guys are even more geeky about guitars than we are about rockets! :D

Just did a sit in gig on New Year's Eve, first time back out there in almost 15 years! Man did that feel good!

I got a kick out of that stage setup in the club you are playing. That's just like a dive club gig I've played a bunch is Salt Lake - the legendary Burt's Tiki Lounge. The stage is split in half by the front door of the bar! - so when folks come in and out they go right through the band. It's really great playing there on those cold winter nights!

Congrats on being back on stage (at least a half of one!) after the long hiatus.

s6

Man, that sucks! From what you're saying, it sounds like it could be a late 50's or very early 60's model. Here is the forum I've been using to find out more about mine. https://www.rickresource.com/forum/
These guys are even more geeky about guitars than we are about rockets! :D

I'm going to have to check that out. When I went to the Rickenbacker site I entered the serial number and it came back as a error :/ I hope it wasn't a rebadged Univox or something. Oh yeah, it was also pre-Rick-O-Sound.

Nope. It was double struck K556 or K566. You couldn't read the second number very well because that's where the stamp was overlapping the worse. Not only was it double struck the second strike was at an angle to the first. Another thing it had was a split mute. It has 2 straps with the mute foam held by two screws, I took it out because I use a pick between the treble pickup and bridge for the bright sound. Not only that reason but after 4-5 hours a night playing in a bar the gnurling on the mute screws would cut the side of my hand and little finger causing them to bleed :p

It's still on the shelf where I put it nearly 30 years ago. I have other identifying marks, not going to list them all incase I need some ID that wasn't in the police report.

Went to the Rickenbacker Service link and it says there that 50's guitars arn't supported...

"Please be aware that some instruments manufactured in the late '50s cannot be interpreted by this decoder."

Last edited:
Nope. It was double struck K556 or K566. You couldn't read the second number very well because that's where the stamp was overlapping the worse. Not only was it double struck the second strike was at an angle to the first. Another thing it had was a split mute. It has 2 straps with the mute foam held by two screws, I took it out because I use a pick between the treble pickup and bridge for the bright sound. Not only that reason but after 4-5 hours a night playing in a bar the gnurling on the mute screws would cut the side of my hand and little finger causing them to bleed :p

It's still on the shelf where I put it nearly 30 years ago. I have other identifying marks, not going to list them all incase I need some ID that wasn't in the police report.

Went to the Rickenbacker Service link and it says there that 50's guitars arn't supported...

"Please be aware that some instruments manufactured in the late '50s cannot be interpreted by this decoder."

ok, yep, you had an old one. I would suspect that it's in someones collection by now. That makes it suck even more.

Guitar. Current set up:

Gibson Les Paul

Line 6 spider IV

I really want to get an explorer in natural finish. I also would love to play drums and piano

Braden

I play bass, Guitar, Sax, Trumpet, Piano, Misc percussion and drum set(for 12 years now! :D) I have played in everything from Deathcore metal to improv jazz combos and love every part of it!

ok, this has nothing to do with rocketry, but I'm excited so I want to share.

I started playing bass when I was 15 (almost 35 years ago...man I'm getting old) and was lucky enough to buy a Rickenbacker in 1978. I was told it was a 1968 model when I bought it. Played it for many years, but I know it was worth more than average, so I started gigging with my "cheaper" basses. I haven't played in quite some time, but my son is starting to get interested in playing now. Got out the 68 to play in in order to give him some lessons, and was curious to find out more about it so I ran the serial number. Hard to believe, but it's really a 1964 4001!! :D:D:D:D

I've been posting on a Rickenbacker forum and it sounds like this bass is really rare and could go for as much as $10k. I paid $325 for it in 78! I wish rocket stuff would gain value like that.

Here's a pic of it.
DSCF6443.jpg

Dude, I am *so* jealous! I had a Rick 4001 Jetglo long ago(early 80's). I got it because I was a serious Rush fan(still am). It started to be very heavy carrying that thing on stage all night. I bought a headless bass during that time, and started using that more. Since the Rick had been modified by the guy I bought it from, and I wasn't using it, I sold it. The fact that Geddy Lee had started using other basses by that time also factored into my decision. Many years later, I realized how stupid it was to sell the thing. I may end up getting a 4003 sometime in the next year or so.

I need to get back into gigs - anybody looking for a bass player in the Detroit area? :)

Eldred

I play bass, Guitar, Sax, Trumpet, Piano, Misc percussion and drum set(for 12 years now! :D) I have played in everything from Deathcore metal to improv jazz combos and love every part of it!

I play guitar, bass, keys, and drums. I'd *like* to also learn sax, clarinet, and trumpet.

When I was younger, I played guitar. Now I mostly play the car radio.

Been a pianist 49 years now & counting...played lots of Bach, Chopin, Beethoven, Joplin. Some periods of my life I was practicing 4+ hr/day. Played bass & keyboards in a garage band as a teenager. Woodwinds too, my parents got me a 1971 Buffet R13 clarinet without knowing it would someday become uber-desirable & I was lucky enough to not get rid of it after college. Now my daughters are starting trumpet & sax so I have lots of axes around the house now but not enough time to play them as much as I want. All fun...I'm not surprised there are lots of rocketry/musician hybrids around here.

I got a kick out of that stage setup in the club you are playing. That's just like a dive club gig I've played a bunch is Salt Lake - the legendary Burt's Tiki Lounge. The stage is split in half by the front door of the bar! - so when folks come in and out they go right through the band. It's really great playing there on those cold winter nights!

Congrats on being back on stage (at least a half of one!) after the long hiatus.

s6

Places and Dives with character rock. Intimate, fun and yes the door opening up and that cool breeze rolling thru makes it even better. It's always great when some one walks in and you get up in their biz and start rocking it with them and making them part of the show. I've had more fun over the years in a sardine can packed amoeba of a crowd in a 300 and under seat room than any larger venue in the under 3K seat range.

Anyone open up for someone famous?

I've had the pleasure of opening for Livinston Taylor(James Taylor's brother)
and Donovan(Try and Catch the Wind fame)

Anyone open up for someone famous?

I've had the pleasure of opening for Livinston Taylor(James Taylor's brother)
and Donovan(Try and Catch the Wind fame)

They opened up for me!

Ok, not really. But I've opened and/or shared stages with the Ramones, Violent Femmes, the Pixies, Public Image Limited, Twisted Sister, Jim Carroll, and others.

More so, I've worked stage crew for tons of "names" - ranging from Pat Metheny, to Ramblin' Jack Elliot, to the Clash, to Count Basie, to Black Flag, to Bruce Cockburn, to Paquito D'Rivera, to The Turtle Island String Quartet, etc., etc. - Punk, Classical, Jazz, Folk, Metal, and beyond.

Back