• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Any 38mm?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REK

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Alright TRF as mentioned, in my post for the 29mm that I got another 38mm mandrel. Basically I can do roll wrapped (prepreg) or filament wound. The roll wrap will have a max length of 48” and the filament about 40”, could be more not sure depending on how much I have to chop off at the ends.

Roll wrap thickness, super thin (estes style, note: will not fit estes nose cones and such), thin wall and standard.

Filament wound, thin wall and standard.

Tg: Roll wrap: 250F
Filament wound: 200F

Price:
Roll Wrap at 48” long: $60 for ultra thin wall, $120 for thin wall and $135 for standard.

Filament wound at 40” long: $75 for thin version and $90 for standard.

By the way everyone the 38mm mandrel has an OD of 1.52” so expect it to be smaller than most couplers that fit in a 38mm. Might have to do some sanding to get a coupler to fit.

Also remember these tubes will not be sanded smooth. Thank you for your understanding as I continue to grow.

Last edited:
Just had to make a nice 38mm and it came out thin wall at 43.5” long. OD at 1.59”

D4A33655-B14E-4490-84FC-D3FADC37BE55.jpeg

PM if interested, price is listed in first post and also you must pay for shipping.

Last edited:
There is a significant weight difference between roll wrap and fillament wound tubes?

It really all depends on the style of fabric or tow used and how it is manufactured. Normally roll wrapped tubes are supposed to be the lightest, because when it comes to prepregs, you can specify the resin content on the material. The less resin there is also the lighter it will be. With filament winding, in order to get a good solid tube you don’t have much of a choice, but to soak the fiber in a resin bath, which is hard to control the resin content. It is do-able by a different resin bath system, but it is a drag. Too much resin is obviously no good and you can also end up with too little resin.

Bump, just wanted to point out also guys that I can only do filament winding at the moment. The weather is still too hot for me to work with any prepregs.

Thank you for your understanding

Back