another weekend launch report

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garydogwood

Reaction score
Due to the overwhelming response to my previous weekend launch report, here is this weeks events. used my newly converted tripod launcher (with drill chuck); made changing launch rods a snap and takes up a lot less room in the CRV.

Sat Oct 3: Big Daddy goes up on a aerotech D15-4 RMS; perfect flight and a little higher than the D12s. nice noise; land fairly close

Arreaux: first flight was on an E23-5 RMS. very majestic looking launch. altimeter beeped out 433 feet.

Arreaux again: used an F12 RMS. nice black smoke and higher altitude (606 feet); however i forgot to put a piece of tape on the nosecone so i lost the nose cone; thank god the altimeter was still in the payload bay. oh well, easy fix.

Fat Boy: used the 18mm reload D13-4; this is the way a fat boy should fly. shot off the pad faster than you could blink. i estimate twice the altitude over a C6 launch.

FYI: i used copperheads on all the above launches with 100% success rate (i always scuff up the propellant when assemblying the motors.

Friday oct 2: not really mid power but did 6 of my low power rockets:
Estes Polaris: went up on a C6 - nice and high
Estes Monarch: used a B6-4; the polaris and monarh were some of the first rockett i purchased back in 2002; don't fly them that much anymore but they are nice flyers and look good
Estes Fat Boy: used a C6; so so flight; this thing needs more power; i have another kit that if i ever get around to building, i'll use a 24mm motor mount. this rocket is also vintage 2002.
estes maxtrax: up on a c6. never had a bad flight with this rocket.
Estes Stormcaster: one of my favorties; used a D12-5 with altimeter; usually get around 450 feet per altimeter.
baby bertha up on a B6-4; another consistent flyer; stupid plastic parachute didn't unfold but rocket tumbled into soft grass with no damage.

wish i had pics.
gw

Sounds like some great flights.

A suggestion for the Fat Boy. I built mine with three 18mm MMT. It needed some nose weight but flies great on three C6-5s.

The Storm Caster, begs for 24/40 E and F loads. It will get near 2,000 on a F38T. I papered the fins on mine, but that was the only extra strengthening I did. It's held up great.

I flew my Stormcaster on a mystery motor that was already in a used case I bought after disassembling to make sure it was done correctly. We're guessing it was an E but it had a very, very long delay. AWESOME FLIGHT!!!! My fins are laminated with label paper.

Back