Another rocket from another cottonwood branch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished the jig/tool holder. Itā€™s not much to look at, being stuff I had laying around, but it maintains four degrees and thatā€™s all I really need it to do.
BF07DC69-4A3C-412F-9EB1-0854C63F85C5.jpeg
I bent a piece of steel square tube for a bit holder with a handle and it seems to do the job. I added a set screw a little after taking this picture.
72E393F7-4980-46B9-AB26-8D8E674F2555.jpeg

I like your fixture but looking at it I feel compelled to respond: I wear a full-face shield when I turn parts on my wood lathe... how about you?

I like your fixture but looking at it I feel compelled to respond: I wear a full-face shield when I turn parts on my wood lathe... how about you?
Full face shield with a respirator under that. Canvas apron with welderā€™s sleeves for the body. Safety is number one! A few times I was lazy and didnā€™t wear the respirator and my lungs and sinuses really let me know I made a mistake!

Full face shield with a respirator under that. Canvas apron with welderā€™s sleeves for the body. Safety is number one! A few times I was lazy and didnā€™t wear the respirator and my lungs and sinuses really let me know I made a mistake!
Well played.

@MadRocketer . any more progress on this cotton pickin' rocket?
I have not had too much time lately. Kidā€™s end of the school year and work getting busy has occupied most of my time. I have carved out enough time to almost have the base of the nose cone hollowed out to specifications.
I have also been pondering whether or not to make the leading and outside edge of the fins more linear. More aggressive since this rocket will be more of a hot-rod than its leisurely predecessor the cruiser.

I have not had too much time lately. Kidā€™s end of the school year and work getting busy has occupied most of my time. I have carved out enough time to almost have the base of the nose cone hollowed out to specifications.
I have also been pondering whether or not to make the leading and outside edge of the fins more linear. More aggressive since this rocket will be more of a hot-rod than its leisurely predecessor the cruiser.
Yeah, Life has a way of getting in the way of hobbies..

Every time I see a cottonwood tree... I think of The @MadRocketer

I got a little more done on the rocket! I almost have the inside of the section where I want it, some more sanding and measuring and deciding and I can move on the outside diameter.

As for the fins, I donā€™t know. Iā€™ve been dabbling in some other profiles to make it look more aggressive but keep somewhat of a retro futuristic feel.

A
D96BD2C9-5909-463B-AABB-687E641197AE.png
B
114235CE-2599-40C2-9E8F-6F4FF32D46B4.png
C
724E3C41-7331-4471-9AF4-B6D34DB341D2.png
D
C397A1F7-33BB-4308-BF6A-E24809434178.png
E

71D14F61-B8F3-4E15-A492-FF31E9E308ED.png

I like A through D a lot. I'm not sure I like any of them better than A, but I have to say D is very distinctive and it blends with the rest of the design very nicely. B could also be great, with some tweaking.

I say build them all. :)

Tallied the votes thus far with help from my daughter, whose vote would be the 4th for D.
A 1
B 2
C 1
D 4
E 1
As of now it looks like the more complicated to airfoil fin is in the lead!

For your stated goal of "aggressive" and retro futuristic I'd go with D, B as a close second.

For "Ooh, I like it" retro futuristic I'd go with A or C, with A, the original coat rack, holding a narrow lead.

Since your stated goal is more important than my personal aesthetic preference, make my vote D.

Today I made more progress and had a small hiccup.
The inside isnā€™t as smooth as I would like but if I mess with it too much I may have walls cave in when I do the outside. So, onward I go.
I turned a plug to support the end that has been floating and centered it on the live center.
F1D02F66-CD91-48FB-988F-3CADF71674FD.jpeg
Cut away all but 9mm on the left and 8mm on the right. The rest of the bulk will be sanded away. I plan on matching this up with the nose cone tip next.
576E7592-3C9D-4952-8855-DA0D9E2E73BD.jpeg

Ok, turning the two pieces together didnā€™t work out quite the way I wanted it too. I think they were too long. I couldnā€™t center it enough and it just kind of buckled. Some dents in the tip and a crack in the lower section. Ok then, Iā€™ll do it the hard way.
I wrapped the base of the lower section in electrical tape for support and put in the 4 jaw chuck. Centered it the best I could and trimmed it down to match the nose cone tip.
Might have to use this new profile, but itā€™s still close.
33BC02F6-9AE4-433B-9DED-5FAABA52506C.jpeg
Took it in the house and used thin CA on the wounds.
BC5C3DC8-0BD5-4327-BD06-FE17A2DE238B.jpeg

Kind of delicate work... it's coming along. Thanks for the photo's.

Where are you located (maybe add that to your details)? I like those wood planks for a walkway.... it's a good look.

Ok, turning the two pieces together didnā€™t work out quite the way I wanted it too. I think they were too long. I couldnā€™t center it enough and it just kind of buckled. Some dents in the tip and a crack in the lower section. Ok then, Iā€™ll do it the hard way.
I wrapped the base of the lower section in electrical tape for support and put in the 4 jaw chuck. Centered it the best I could and trimmed it down to match the nose cone tip.
View attachment 520833
View attachment 520834
View attachment 520833
View attachment 520834
Wow that thin nosecone is something elseā€¦.arenā€™t you afraid itā€™s going to snap like a twig on touching the ground?ā€¦.no pun intended.

Wow that thin nosecone is something elseā€¦.arenā€™t you afraid itā€™s going to snap like a twig on touching the ground?ā€¦.no pun intended.
That is always a concern, but I can always make another! I try to bring them down no more that 15 fps and hope they donā€™t swing or find a rock on landing.

Started the boat tail fin can today.

Cut a branch down to size, shaved it down to round and cut in a shoulder and put it in the 4 jaw chuck. Found a hole when I roughed in the shape. I am optimistic it will not be there when the final sanding is completed. If there is still a void I will fill it with epoxy. Nozzle end is on the left so I can hollow it out from the big end.
CE3A095F-3082-47A1-B728-F8E7830419E8.jpeg
Began to hollow it out and wrote my measurements down on my work because that is the way I like to do it!
46D1C8B6-E5A8-413F-AB68-C74C44583E23.jpeg
I used the left over piece of square tube to make another holder for carbide cutters. Seems to work well so far. Better than chisels for this job. And safer too.
294C6706-D16F-415E-8696-D8D179481AFE.jpeg
And, why not, a view of the inside.

Last edited:
Back