Another ISM with a twist..Frank-in Space..Man

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Last time I ordered MMX motors I picked up a couple Fliskits on-line as well.
One was an Intergalactic Space Man Kit.
The Kit want together in no time at all (I didn't realize he's a feather weight recovery model).

As I finished the building I noticed one of the front leg pieces formed an interesting void in just the right space... My Spaceman has a belly button!!! Which got me thinking about how I wanted to paint and finish this model. Again looking at the flat head and other features it struck me he might make a Robot or robot frankenstein... or Frank-in-Space...man.
So with this as a base, started adding Rivets and looking for suitable neck bolts...we'll find something Soon I'm sure.
It also struck me why not start him off as a robot in the Steam-punk vain then expand from there. Perhaps a 2-Faced, Happy and Sad "Frank" or Halloween Green faced Frank... he's still a work in progress.

Went together so quick I didn't think to take build photos...had to start with Frank in primer:) Here's where we are at the moment.

Working on custom face decals. I'll likely use some of the provided decals as well when I finish the detailing...Hair or no hair...Green face, hands or arms... still a bunch of undecided things to go:) This one has been really fun fooling with I must say:)

MM 381uc04-Lg_Micro Spacemen 1st primer sand_08-14-11.jpg

MM 381uc05-Lg_2nd sanding before rivets & bolts_08-19-11.jpg

MM 381uc06a-Lg_Rivet application, copper & gold_09-04-11.jpg

MM 381uc06b-Lg_Backside -Frank'in Spacemen 2 tone_09-04-11.jpg

Frank got his green features , usual flat top and his two faced personality over the weekend.

Printed his new face on inkjet rather then my Alps just for fun which ment I had to back up his big smile and open frown with a small patch of white vinyl that seems to have worked out will.

digging through my micro scale fasteners last night I finally found some 00-90 machine screws and tiny hex nuts to make his neck bolts. Sorry I didn't have a change to take a photo of them installed.
Once his neck bots are set and I've printed and applied a couple "Frank-in-Space man" decals on this ring fin base we'll call him ready for flight;)

MM 381uc07a-Lg_Custom face expressions Printed_09-09-11.jpg

MM 381uc07b-Lg_Face Green & White vinyl on _09-09-11.jpg

MM 381uc08a-Lg_Goofy Face & Decals_09-10-11.jpg

MM 381uc08b-Lg_Sad face & Decals_09-10-11.jpg

We'll ignor the lude comments, remembering this is a Family friendly forum
instead going directly to the finished photos.

He's ready for flying. sorry for the slightly out of focus pics...this little camera seems to have a mind of it's own when trying to get closeups.

MM 381uc10a_Close Goofy Face ISM_09-15-11.JPG

MM 381uc10b_Close Sad Face ISM_09-15-11.JPG

MM 381p01a_ISM GF Frank-In-Space_09-15-11.JPG

MM 381p01b_ISM SF Frank-In-Space_09-15-11.JPG

We'll ignor the lude comments, remembering this is a Family friendly forum
instead going directly to the finished photos.

He's ready for flying. sorry for the slightly out of focus pics...this little camera seems to have a mind of it's own when trying to get closeups.

That is a great interpretation, Micro! Kudos!!

OH man those this little rocket move!
Got to fly him on Saturday.. but all I caught at ignition was a smoke trail. Wow! it's quick off the pad.. got lots of laughs as he arched over and did a header very close to the RSO. RSO spot landing LOL!!!!

MM 381Lp01a_Frank-in-Space-Man on pad (1st flt)_10-22-11.jpg

Back