Another beautiful day for flying

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenobi65

Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of us have had good launching weather this weekend.

We were able to go out on Saturday, with some friends of ours who had never seen a model rocket launch, and sent up a few.

1) Estes Fat Boy. Well, I didn't have any Cs, so I sent it up for her maiden launch on a B4-2. Mistake. Just not enough motor. She weathercocked severely, went practically horizontal, never got above about 75', and the ejection charge went off about 40' above the ground. The only good news was it landed safely.

2) Estes Big Bertha. Really nice flight on a B6-4, great deployment of the big 18" chute.

3) Estes Alpha III. Nice flight on a A8-5, though the ejection charge was pretty loud, even on the ground (suggesting one of those sneaky Estes M-80 ejections). Landed on one fin in soft ground, which "stuck", leaving the rocket standing almost upright (but unharmed).

4) Semroc Li'l Ivan. Absolutely rocked on a B6-4, almost out of sight. I'd repaced the streamer (which didn't slow it down enough) with a 12" chute with a spill hole, and it really caught the breeze, and floated out of the park. We saw where it landed (in someone's back yard), trotted over there, and found it sitting on their driveway. Even with landing on blacktop, it was unharmed.

5) Quest Totally Tubular. Nice flight on a A8-3, good landing.

Our friends really enjoyed it; their 6-year-old daughter (who is also my goddaughter) is already asking her dad if they can get some rockets. :D

Back