ANNOUNCEMENT: The OpenRocket 22.02 Beta Period is now finished

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect we won’t really have a choice but to finalize this release with broken 3D, and then try like heck to get another release out as quickly as possible with it fixed.

I’m a heavy 3D user and badly want it fixed, but I think it’s just too big a job for this release, even if we chain @SiboVG to his MacBook and crack the whip…

Much to my surprise, we have users for whom the 3D rendering is the main point. I frequently go straight from design through simulation to construction without ever looking at it in 3D, but we want to accommodate everybody as best we can.

If it was more or less a drop in replacement for unmaintained libraries, I'd agree. But since it sounds like its going to be a complete rewrite of that functionality, that is probably best served as its own beta that focuses on it. Its unfortunate that JOGL and some of the other libraries the app was built on are no longer maintained, but unfortunately that happens in opensource not to mention when the whims of corporate fancy change their directions.

Much to my surprise, we have users for whom the 3D rendering is the main point. I frequently go straight from design through simulation to construction without ever looking at it in 3D, but we want to accommodate everybody as best we can.
I had used OR for months before I even realized it did any 3D rendering other than wireframe. After I found out it could, I did spend an hour or so playing with colors and finishes on one model, but haven't done anything like that since. Predicting CP, checking speed at end of the rod, and choosing engine delays are what matter to me. I admit I'm very impressed with the renderings achieved by other uses (complete with decals and whatnot), but haven't every felt motivated to try for it myself.

I thought I read that the next release of OR was sticking with Java 11, so I had kept Java 11 installed when my Linux distro made 17 "stable" and offered to remove 11. But, then I thought I also read that one of the more recent betas had switched to Java 17.

Can somebody offer some clarification on what Java version the next release of OR will use?

I thought I read that the next release of OR was sticking with Java 11, so I had kept Java 11 installed when my Linux distro made 17 "stable" and offered to remove 11. But, then I thought I also read that one of the more recent betas had switched to Java 17.

Can somebody offer some clarification on what Java version the next release of OR will use?
Plan right now is to stay with 11.

Beta 03 was shipped with Java 17, but a multitude of users reported an error in the 3D visualization that was caused by the switch to Java 17. Therefore, the release will be for Java 11 (the packaged installers will all run on Java 11, the JAR files support both Java 11 and Java 17 so that if people do want to use Java 17, they can do so - that allows us to catch other Java 17 related issues for a next release, which is intended to use Java 17).

Beta 03 was shipped with Java 17, but a multitude of users reported an error in the 3D visualization that was caused by the switch to Java 17. Therefore, the release will be for Java 11 (the packaged installers will all run on Java 11, the JAR files support both Java 11 and Java 17 so that if people do want to use Java 17, they can do so - that allows us to catch other Java 17 related issues for a next release, which is intended to use Java 17).
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I'll keep both 11 and 17 installed and try the JAR files with both.

I have a wish for a minor (I think) feature. I’d like a thrust delay after the ignition.

I like to merge sim and altimeter data after the flight, and for my 2-stage flights, I have to change the sustainer ignition setting to account for the delay between ignition and thrust before exporting the sim data.

That’s not hard, but I’d like to have a second delay option so I can leave the ignition settings alone and still account for the startup delay. I use the ignition lines to check the values of the altitude and velocity safety limits on the altimeter.

The OpenRocket team is very excited to announce that the new version of OpenRocket is at long last available for everyone to try. For now this is a public beta, which means that there are known issues still to be worked out before the final release. Nonetheless, the current version is stable and usable enough for most folks to start using it full-time.

Beta 4 is now available, which includes some significant new features in addition to the usual collection of bug fixes and tweaks.

Download:[/B] https://openrocket.info/downloads.html?vers=22.02.beta.04
Full Release notes: https://openrocket.info/release_notes.html (see also the following post)

Please keep those bug reports and suggestions coming to this thread or straight to https://github.com/openrocket/openrocket/issues.

Here are the major new features:
  • Pods!
  • Drop-off boosters!
  • Rail buttons!
  • Attach freeform fins to nose cones and transitions!
  • Coefficient of Drag override!
  • Better tube fin support!
  • Multiple-component editing!
  • Contextual menus!
  • Dave Cook’s fantastic rocket component library now included!
…plus endless smaller things to make day-to-day use more enjoyable.

The beta is being released in both packaged form and as a plain JAR file (for use with Java 11 or 17, but please note that there are problems with Java 17) at the link provided above. We strongly recommend the packaged installers for most folks.

Updated builds will be made available periodically during the beta period. OpenRocket can check for updates either automatically at startup, or manually. The settings for this feature are found at: Edit > Preferences > General.

This update has taken a long effort from a lot of people. Please give it a try, and let us know what you think. We hope to get back on a more regular release schedule (!) going forward.

Thanks again for your continued support!
I hadn’t realized there was a function to calculate drag coefficient. I’ll see if I can get a version number for the one I’m using, but if it’s been pretty stable across versions, I’d very much appreciate if somebody could point it out.

I have a feature wish:
Have the ability to do a single plot of two or more motors. Then it is easy to directly compare different aspects of performance.

I hadn’t realized there was a function to calculate drag coefficient. I’ll see if I can get a version number for the one I’m using, but if it’s been pretty stable across versions, I’d very much appreciate if somebody could point it out.
I'm sorry to say CD overrides are completely broken at present. Working on it...

Please provide more details. Exactly what sort of plot?
The Simulator plot under the Flight simulations Tab, "Plot/Export".
Any and all of the available x and y types.
Direct comparison of Velocity, acceleration, etc of two or more motors.

The Simulator plot under the Flight simulations Tab, "Plot/Export".
Any and all of the available x and y types.
Direct comparison of Velocity, acceleration, etc of two or more motors.
So select 2 or more sims and plot them overlaid, with a selector (like stages) to show one or all?

When I do something like this, I export the sim data and take it over to JMP to concatenate and graph.

So select 2 or more sims and plot them overlaid, with a selector (like stages) to show one or all?

When I do something like this, I export the sim data and take it over to JMP to concatenate and graph.
No idea where the 'overlaid' selection is.
I can select more than one motor but once clicking 'Plot/Export' only one motor is selected and can not find the 'overlaid' option.

No idea where the 'overlaid' selection is.
I can select more than one motor but once clicking 'Plot/Export' only one motor is selected and can not find the 'overlaid' option.
I don’t think there is one, I was asking if that’s what you like to be able to do.

I don’t think there is one, I was asking if that’s what you like to be able to do.
I think the way it might end up working (if implemented) is that you’d have multiple sims on one graph, with a selector to adjust which are shown, like stages do now.

Sims could differ in all the ways configurations can: ignition delays, motors, wind speeds, etc.

Can anybody explain why the rail exit speed for my rocket does not change, regardless of what I enter for rail length in launch preferences? I can enter 1" rail, or 100" rail and I still get the same exit speed in the simulation. Tried on both version 15 and 22 of openrocket. Im going to do level 1 certification and would like to have this figured out before I go. Thanks

edit: I found the issue. Changing the launch rail length in the program settings doesn't change it for the simulations that were already present. I had to edit the launch parameters for that flight.

Last edited:
Can anybody explain why the rail exit speed for my rocket does not change, regardless of what I enter for rail length in launch preferences? I can enter 1" rail, or 100" rail and I still get the same exit speed in the simulation. Tried on both version 15 and 22 of openrocket. Im going to do level 1 certification and would like to have this figured out before I go. Thanks

edit: I found the issue. Changing the launch rail length in the program settings doesn't change it for the simulations that were already present. I had to edit the launch parameters for that flight.

See updated Wiki to change exisiting simulation launch conditions.

Also, a new reminder coming soon...

New Warning.png

Last edited:
All my long ramblings, eh?

Plugin crashing was the Javascript one, so I think it should run with the current beta.
I'll give it a whirl - but it might take me a little bit.

Flying 2 stagers at Bong has made me sensitive to wind direction at altitude. I'm trying to sim the recovery area. Sure, I'm only flying to 2-3000' - but there's that big water hazard that turns out to be unreasonably close.

Back