3D Printing Annealing Fin Can Sous Vide

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramer714

Reaction score
For day job stuff, we frequently anneal 3d printed parts (plus stress relive machined aluminum, heat treating formed parts etc...).

For rocket stuff, things like fins I anneal, I never bothered to do it with av bay stuff, or drill jigs. I have annealed using an oven and even used the dark car in the sun annealing oven (same 'oven' I have used for post curing adhesive joints) but wanted to try using Sous Vide heater and a water bath. For this I did more of a stress relieve than a true annealing.

FIN CAN
I 3d printed a 4 fin 29 mm fin can with:
modeled dimension of 30.00 mm ID
measured dimension of 29.89 mm after printing before annealing in the barrel away from the fins or launch lugs
Annealed as follows;

ANNEALING
placed in water bath at RT
temperature raised to 158F and held for 2 hours
heat removed - part remaining in water until cooled to 125F
part removed

after annealing part remeasured at 29.54 in the barrel away from the fins or launch lugs

No visible warping or distortion after annealing

Couple of things;

• There is noticeable 'suck in' where the thicker areas are, such as where the fins attach or where the launch lugs are. This is to be expected from the CTE of the material as printed, you see this on injection molded parts with low filler content too. not a problem but an observation
  • The part was printed with 100% fill, Overture PETG Bed at 80C, initial temperature 240, printing temperature 230, final layer 225 C, .2 mm layer height
  • part weight 193 G, 163.21 CC as modeled.
  • Specific gravity 1.183 (actual weight / model volume)
  • based on a density of 1.23 g/cm^3 for PETG gives a theoretical void content of 3.5%
  • I put (2) half rounds on the ID, 1 mm diameter to account for out of round and tolerances in the tube it slips over, they are 90 degrees apart and centered on one fin. IT also keeps the fincan aligned with the tube.
  • A eye of round roast, seasoned with garlic, kosher salt, course ground pepper and 1-2 TBS of beef -better than bullion, sealed and cooked Sous Vide for 36 hours at 145F is really tender, great for sandwiches.
Mike K

1682435996258.png1682437897686.png

IMG20230423141128 vide.png
IMG20230425082721.pngIMG20230425082725.png

Last edited:
always wondered if anyone reads these things...
You got me
always wondered if anyone reads these things...
Well, you hooked me with annealing, then segued into Sous Vide. I pride myself in thinking out of the box, but annealing 3d printed parts never crossed my mind. Kudos! Most have never even heard of Sous Vide. Really like that fin can.

Yep, triple win as I read, learned and am dreaming. I read your process and like the creativity. I learned that I need to learn more about the concept of annealing 3D printed plastic - never knew that was a thing, even though I know tons of heat treat processes for metal - makes sense that there could be a method for plastics. I'm dreaming of that sandwich, though. Don't know if I'm going to buy one of those heat-stick-thingys but sounds like a good eat for sure!

When in doubt, post it out! Some person will learn something and maybe learn something on their own to put out there as well due to your post.

Sandy.

SO my take away from the comments is the rocket stuff is nice, but more importantly is the recipe for Sous Vide Chicago style Italian Beef (don't call it a french dip- really...)

Chicago Style Italian Beef – Sous Vide

• 2-3 lb eye of round (chuck roast can also be used)
  • Thyme -2 teaspoon
  • Better then Bullion beef– 1 tablespoon
  • Worcestershire - 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon
  • Kosher salt – 1 tablespoon
  • Garlic - 1 tablespoon (for sous vide it is better to use jarred garlic, but you can use fresh)
  • Black pepper – I teaspoon
  • Sport peppers – 3 or 4 AND 1-2 tablespoons of the vinegar from the peppers
  • 1 green pepper cut into thin slices
  • Good French bread baguettes (or Hogie Rolls)
Instructions
  1. Take the eye of round rub it with the Thyme, Salt, and Pepper – leave the fat on the side of the meat.
  2. In the Sous Vide bag, put the Better Than Bouillon and 1 tablespoon of the Worcestershire, garlic and the rubbed meat, seal it (or use water displacement method)
  3. Sous Vide at 135 for 36 hours or 140 F for 24 hours (the eye of round has almost no marbling long cook time makes it very tender)
  4. When done remove from the Sous vide LEAVE IN THE BAG and allow to cool off some (important or it will be dry)
  5. Cut the bag and put the drippings into a pan, add the sport peppers (hold the vinegar for now), green peppers, the teaspoon of Worcestershire, and slowly bring to a simmer, simmer for 5-10 minutes until the green peppers are soft.
  6. Taste it, add a little of the vinegar from the peppers (it will be hot spicy) until the dip has a good spice to it…
  7. Cut the fat cap off the beef and discard. Slice the beef across the grain in thin slices
  8. Cut the baguette (or good hoagie roils) in half, generously add the sauce to the bread, dip the meat in the sauce and add to the sandwich with green peppers – this should be a wet mess….
    1. The Sport Peppers - I take the ones I cooked with and put them on the sandwich, these will be more mellow than the ones from the jar, feel free to add some of the uncooked ones too. They are spicy
    2. I usually dip the sandwich into more of the sauce when I eat it. Again this dosent make it a french dip sandwich... really (dont get me started on why adding catsup to a hotdog as an affront to all things that are good in life...)
  9. OPTION add a slice of provolone
  10. OPTION skip step 1-9 and go to Al’s on Clark Street https://www.alsbeef.com/chicago-lakeview-wrigleyville-clark-st
Mike (we still talking about rockets?) K

Last edited:
I've been annealing certain PAHT-CF and PETG parts in my heated vacuum chamber for a while now. I primarily use the setup to degas and dry grains in propellant making but have found it is also very convenient for epoxy curing and Filament drying - in fact, it can dry an old filament spool in less than 30 minutes. Water's boiling point falls dramatically as pressure decreases. The boiling point of water in my vacuum chamber is -30 degrees C. I can actually see the water vapor escaping through the outlet.

20230512_194857.jpg

20230512_194737.jpg

Back