And then...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemech

Reaction score
Personal launch report 2-22-14

Snow and ice, snow and ice. Depression. And then...
Sixty degrees! Blue skies! Wind gusting to 5mph! Run for the rocket room and empty it into the car. Well, I didn’t actually empty it. I left body tubes, balsa stock and paint. Oh, and the build pile.
I grabbed 3 maidens and a half-dozen favorites, new tripod and tower launch pads. Range box, BP motor box, recovery box, log book. Run, before She finds something in the yard that needs doing. That’s for after the wind picks up.

Get to the park and check the wind. Not much but keeps changing. From the south, then from the east. I start hauling stuff toward the southeast part of the park. Three trips about 150m each from the parking lot. The ground is still sorta mushy, so my stupid mistakes may get by unscathed. Then I notice that the playground is to the northwest. Damn. Hey, it’s right by the parking lot, 150m. All LPR flights today. I’m happy again.

Start with my little Star Trooper. Painted bright yellow. (My first one was painted grass green; stupid. Know where it is now? Neither do I.) 1/2A3-4T, streamer and launch. Straight up and ejected at ~10m still going up fast. Re-checked the motor. Yup, the label says -4, but it was actually a -1. Landed less than 2m from the pad. Slightly scorched streamer but no other damage. OK start for the day.

Then the Tiny der Red Max. BT5 down-scale with a 1/4A3-3T. I had to hold this launch. The kids are coming. Straight up and (almost) straight down. Excellent maiden flight. This was the last rocket that I recovered myself today. The recovery crew is here.

Flutter-By, B4-4. The kid who brought it back was almost in tears. “It broke!” So I launched it again so they could see that that was the way it was supposed to work.

Mini-Max, 1/2A3-4T. Excellent flight.

Ricochet, A8-3. Excellent maiden flight. The first parachute recovery for the kids.

Breakaway, B4-4. I popped it apart before launching so the kids could see why it didn’t need a parachute. Came back with an Estes dent in the nose cone. DIIK how.

Der Red Max, B6-4. Excellent maiden flight. The kids started to notice that the Red Max, the Mini Max and the Tiny Max were different scales of the same rocket. I need to build a BT20 Baby Max.

Big Bertha, B6-4. Always a favorite. Straight up, popped the ‘chute and started drifting south. South? SOUTH? The breeze had been coming from the south! Everything else had drifted, if at all, north or west. My Big Bertha was sacrificed to the dreaded rocketus eatemupus (tree). There are very few branches in that tiny wood that are higher than my beloved Big Bertha. The kids started leaving. One little girl gave me a hug and said she was sorry. New build time.

Parachute Duration A, 1/2A-2T. Excellent maiden flight. I used a streamer as this was the first test flight of the rocket and the tower launch pad. I need to rig a stand-off and a blast deflector on the pad for test flights. Competition flights will use a piston.

All in all a good day. I lost the BB but I’m not ready to buy a train set.

Today would have been an okay day to try to toss a few up around here, but I'd already promised my wife I'd go to her company ski event with her. Glad that someone took advantage of the day.

...Der Red Max, B6-4. Excellent maiden flight. The kids started to notice that the Red Max, the Mini Max and the Tiny Max were different scales of the same rocket. I need to build a BT20 Baby Max..

Build a Mega Max for that fleet.....they fly great and the family looks good together.

Last edited:
Keep your eyes peeled on that tree... Time may restore what the tree took (now if it'd only hurry its A$$ up and give me back my Venus Probe with Zane E Gray).

Build a Mega Max for that fleet.....they fly great and the family looks good together.
A Mega Max is $55+. I have everything, except maybe a nose cone, for a Baby Max in the scrap box. Retirement is some ways good, some ways not.

A Mega Max is $55+. I have everything, except maybe a nose cone, for a Baby Max in the scrap box. Retirement is some ways good, some ways not.

It's hard to find that one at a good discount. It wasn't included in the Estes $24.99 Pro II sale....I would have grabbed a couple if it was....I got mine on sale but still had to pay for it....

Ask for it as a Christmas or birthday gift. Worked for me.:wink:

Personal launch report 2-22-14
Big Bertha, B6-4. Always a favorite. Straight up, popped the ‘chute and started drifting south. South? SOUTH? The breeze had been coming from the south! Everything else had drifted, if at all, north or west. My Big Bertha was sacrificed to the dreaded rocketus eatemupus (tree). There are very few branches in that tiny wood that are higher than my beloved Big Bertha. The kids started leaving. One little girl gave me a hug and said she was sorry. New build time.

A length of paracord with a weight attached can be useful in retrieving a rocket stuck in tree branches. It depends on how good you are at throwing the weight and other intervening obstructions. Don't go tossing it around power lines, for instance.

A length of paracord with a weight attached can be useful in retrieving a rocket stuck in tree branches. It depends on how good you are at throwing the weight and other intervening obstructions. Don't go tossing it around power lines, for instance.

Kites, Slingshots, Crossbows, and Bow and Arrows are alternate ways of getting a line to go the distance (local laws and safety issues should be investigated on a case by case manner).

+1 on not messing with power lines. I had a highschool classmate who was a double amputee because he climbed a power pole as a young child. He lost one arm at the shoulder, one below the elbow, and had severe burns on the thighs (almost, but not quite, reaching the family jewels). If an electric line is ever involved, call the power company and let them get it out for you.

Last edited:
Ask for it as a Christmas or birthday gift. Worked for me.:wink:
Just got my birthday present. Fliskits USS Grissom. With my limited skill set, that one will keep me busy for quite a while.
Somewhere around here I have a monkey fist I made for Scouts. I'll find that and try it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back