An afternoon flying with MidSouth Rocketry Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pem Tech

Notorious Member
Reaction score
Recently, after whining about having no where to fly, Randy from MidSouth Rocketry Society extended an invitation to fly in Memphis this Saturday. Trudy and I loaded up the VW with several untested designs and nipped off yesterday afternoon.
Upon arrival we were graciously greeted by Troy, Burt, Marie, their daughter, Gary (I think because once again I forgot his name) and another young lady who's name I missed.
Yes, yes...
I am terrible with names...

Anyway, we were soon part of the fold and the burning of motors began.

These aren't all the rockets launched, just the few I got to photograph.

The first up was Gary-Greg-Jerry's (whatever his name was) Estes Maxi-V2.
MSRS_V2_0148.jpg

MSRS_V2_0151.jpg

MSRS_V2_0154.jpg

MSRS_V2_0157.jpg

She arched over too soon and here you see where the ejection charge fired.
(Marked by the circle.)

MSRS_V2_0160.jpg

Luckily it wasn't damaged too badly.

Here is Burt's daughter displaying his very well done, Screemin' Green Meenie.
MSRS_SGM_0242.jpg

Here is Burt, his lovely daughter and myself at the pad, loading up the Arcturus. Randy is on the right, heading out towards us.
MSRS_0161.jpg

The Arcturus again, being loaded up to fly by me. This was to be her maiden flight, even though this is the second version built. Burt is supervising.
MSRS_Arcturus_0168.jpg

Dramtic on the pad shot by Trudy.
msrs_Arcturus_0170.jpg

After three ignitors and three attempts to ignite an AT E15-4, it was tossed aside and replaced by a D12-3.
Success!
MSRS_arcturus_0178.jpg

Up and away, steady as a rock.
MSRS_Arcturus_0180.jpg

Ejection
MSRS_Arcturus_0185.jpg

And a successful recover.
MSRS_Acturus_0193.jpg

Here is a model built by Burt streaking off the pad.
MSRS_Burtlaunch_0194.jpg

Next up is Commander Willy's Red Rocket.
MSRS_CWRR_0218.jpg

Lift Off!
MSRS_CWRR_0220.jpg

AWAY!
MSRS_CWRR_0221.jpg

As some of you may know, the fins on Commander Willy were a bit warped. Well, instead of a nice spiral, as I had hoped, we got this flight pattern.
MSRS_CWRR_0224.jpg

This is the Sorta Saturn 7 Gemini lifting off for the very first time.
MSRS_Saturn7Gemini_0202.jpg

A beautifully stable flight.
MSRS_Saturn7Gemini_0204.jpg

ANd a successful recovery.
MSRS_Saturn7Gemini_0215.jpg

Last up is the USN Pharmacopia lifting off.
MSRS_PHarm_0227.jpg

A lousy flight shot.
MSRS_pharm_0228.jpg

Unfortunately, the chute was packed too tight and she came in hot, scooping out a nice core sample.
MSRS_pharm_0232.jpg

All in all it was a successful day, and to top it off Randy took Trudy and I to supper at a great pizza place afterwards!

Thanks to the fine folks at the MidSouth Rocketry Society for allowing us to share in there launch day.

Last edited:
Awesome shots and the arcturus is amazing :)
Cheers
fred

nice work glad to see you got some flying time! I thought the Arcturus looked cool static, it's amazing in the air!

nice work glad to see you got some flying time! I thought the Arcturus looked cool static, it's amazing in the air!

Thanks!
We were really amazed how stable she was on a D12 off of a 36" rod. Wish we had had time enough to fly her a few more times. What really irks me are the E15's. Neither of them would ignite at Southern Thunder 09, using two hand dipped magnalite pyrogen igniters each. This time we burnt one copperhead in each, and a new Quest igniters in one of them. All to no avail.
:mad:
Finally got tired of wasting the clubs time burning igniters and launched it on the D12.
:bangbang:

Layne,

Nice pics! I'll add my thumbs up to the Arcturas, I thought it looked cool in the workbench pictures, but I have to agree that it's awesome in the air :headbang: can't wait to see what kind of finishing touches the art department comes up with!

I remember your trials at Southern Thunder... :rolleyes: don't give up on the E15s, those are great motors! I've had good luck lighting them with the 3" igniters that AT sells now (very much like the new Quest igniters but maybe with a "heavier" dip on the end?) Since you've burned multiple igniters in them, maybe you could try and rough up the core with a small file or sanding stick :confused2: That's the only thing I can think of.

So I started some of my winter build projects recently... I think I'm going to need some new Rocket Cozies before too long :D

Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back