Amraam 2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulez2

Reaction score
Has anybody used a G64-10 on the AMRAMM 2 ?
Is this too long a delay charge?

I would recomend a 7 sec delay for that rocket Its a great flyer on a G64-7 and with a H128-M(10sec)

Cool. Thanks.

I actually had in mind the H128 M for my D region Tomahawk. I may never see it again if I used that motor in my AMRAAM 2.
:)

Another great motor for the Amraam 2 is the G77R-M for the 29/120 casing. Awesome fast flight!

I flew my first AMRAAM 2 flight on a G64 it was 4 sec delay and that went off RIGHT at apogee. Everyoine said that was great. I would use no more than 7sec. I used an F40-7 and I alomost CRAPPED my pant it was so long !! I think if you drilled the delay to 7 or 8 sec, you would have no problem. That is what I have to do since Hobbylinc only had a 10 sec instock. Good luck! BTW I will let you know what a flight is like on G77 :) picked up a 29/120 DR.R ocket case along with 2!!!! G77's :)

thanx, Ben

I fly mine on a G64-7 all the time. I think the 4 would be too short.

Today I launched my AMRAAM 2 on a G62-4.
It worked out ok but I won't know the exact point of deployment until I view the video.

We tested our altitude tracker and it came back at about 2200'.
This may be a little over what it actually was I'm thinking as we didn't have a second altitude tracker to calculate it exact.

Does anybody have info on what this motor should have taken this rocket to. It weighs in at about 750grams.

I launched my AMRAAM on a G77 REDLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

and a G64-7 The 4 is right at apogee and the 7 seems to make a little closer recovery. the G77 landed WAY away on a medium delay (I think the main reason was I had a 30" :p and the winds were at 8mph) I will post vids later.

thanx, Ben

Originally posted by ben
I launched my AMRAAM on a G77 REDLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

G77R-M is absolutely perfect for this kit. Mine has gone up on two of those motors, and both were dead perfect apogee ejections! The sight and sound of the redlines cannot be beat, in my opinion!

Originally posted by Bowhunter
Cough Cough............ H128

Better see the doctor about that cold :) or is it the motor vendor?? ;) I have another redline that I am gonna fly either in my AMRAAM or in my Phoenix.

thanx, Ben

I have just bought 4 x G33-7J's for my PML AMRAAM 2.
Has anybody had any experience with this motor for this rocket?

I would have preferred past motors I have used as mentioned earlier on in this thread but motors here in Australia are getting exptremely scarce :( There are only about 25 G motors left to buy in the country as far as the supplier tells me and he won't get any more until he has a minimum order of $5000-$7000.
Unless someone knows how to somehow put some on a container ship for me.

There are only about 25 G motors left to buy in the country as far as the supplier tells me and he won't get any more until he has a minimum order of $5000-$7000. Unless someone knows how to somehow put some on a container ship for me.

Hmm...have you looked into all the shipping options/regulations available whereas YOU could become a 'distributor' & get them from the USA, UK or Canada (they might be less draconian re. regs/rules)??

I'd think you could get 'cost-effective' with an order of $500-1000 or so...have you asked your dealer why he's set his bar so high?

You clearly have a club (any in NZ?..the more the merrier for this motor deal!)...and I can't imagine a better place for HP rocketry to flourish....my god, your whole country is a Black Rock!!

Originally posted by Paulez2
I have just bought 4 x G33-7J's for my PML AMRAAM 2.
Has anybody had any experience with this motor for this rocket?

I would have preferred past motors I have used as mentioned earlier on in this thread but motors here in Australia are getting exptremely scarce :( There are only about 25 G motors left to buy in the country as far as the supplier tells me and he won't get any more until he has a minimum order of $5000-$7000.
Unless someone knows how to somehow put some on a container ship for me.

the 7sec delay in the G33 should be perfect. I wouldn't know as I bought one and then my AMRAAM lawndarted :(

thanx, Ben

I would not recomend the G33-7J. I would use a G33-5. You can drill the delay with a 3/16" drill bit with every 3/32" being a second, just make sure you go 1-2 3/32" more than you would to make it a 5 second delay. I used one and it went just after apogee. Also I would not recomend flying it on a G33 if the winds are above 5mph.

Note: the G33-7J uses a delay that burns slower than most delay elements, so in drilling it, you drill less than you would in the standard delay formulation. AFAIK, the 29mm hobbyline blackjack loads with the 7 sec delay are the only motors to use this alternate delay formulation.

As I said, the Aerotech standard delay would work with those instructions, but the delay in the G33-7 is actually a slower burning compound, and as such, will be shortened more (time) than the standard ones for the same drilled depth.

What about the weight of my AMRAAM 2. I'm sure they all vary in weight from each other,depending on construction techiques.
I think I remember weighing mine in at about 725g empty weight.

I launched the AMRAAM 2 on the G33-7J today and it went perfectly.

I drilled the delay 1.6mm deep with a 3/16th drill bit. It's not much and it takes just a tiny amount of delay grain. I think it still would have worked fine if I didn't touch the delay grain.

I just need to clear up something. Am I right to say that motors in the H-J range come with their own delay grain but you can also buy delay grain kits!?

I'm just not sure weather to get the same motor ie H128-10(M) (which will rock the AMRAAM 2) and the H128 for the D-Region, but with a shorter delay ie H128-S.

Originally posted by Paulez2
I just need to clear up something. Am I right to say that motors in the H-J range come with their own delay grain but you can also buy delay grain kits!?

I'm just not sure weather to get the same motor ie H128-10(M) (which will rock the AMRAAM 2) and the H128 for the D-Region, but with a shorter delay ie H128-S.

That is correct, the H128 comes with a medium delay which is 10 sec. You can purchase a long or short delay kit to change the delay time.

I did my L1 cert with the AMRAAM2 and the standard H128 and it may have been slightly longer than needed, but I would think the short delay would have been way too short.

Back