Minnie Maag 2 stage under 1500gms

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Norm make a 2 stage Minnie Maag ready to fly with 2X G64 motors Under 1500gms

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OzHybrid

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Soooooo. I was told it was impossible to build a Minnie Maag ready for flight under 1500gms. If you use the kit, it is possible, but only just....
However if you make your own lighter tube..... It's well possible.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/making-spiral-wound-paper-tubing.178953/post-2534995
This was a 6 1/2"OD tube. The Minnie Maag is 5 ish...

But is it possible to make a 2 stage Minnie Maag under 1500gms.

Lets find out....

This is the start of the build where I lay out the scope.
Staging=CHAD
Motor=G64 x2
Ejection=Electronic probably ALTS2-50k (we're not going to 50K I just have one and it's light....)

Next will be the OR sim... Initiating Hamster wheel.........

Last edited:
Quick sim with the known knowns.
As I now know the mass of my own tube..... 150gms to spare. Luxury. Might modify the fins back to more Minnie Maag shape, But I have these and know what they weigh.(300gms for the fins)
1706266409562.png

How are you CHAD staging G64's? They are composite motors and need ignition of 2nd stage at the top of the motor...What am I missing?
That was my question as well, composite motor usually dont fit the description of C.H.A.D. " CHeap and Dirty", they are more like expensive and complicated to stage (sorry no cool acronym).

I have to test the idea. But it's cheap and it's dirty .. And it's been used in firework display industry for 50+ years. You'll have to wait........ Till end of March when I can get to a bigger launch as I'm pretty sure I won't get permission to launch this at our normal monthly launch site.

Last edited:
Rolled the cardboard for the tube. Sprayed with water and let it set at roughly the correct diameter. Made a mandrel by rolling cardboard around 110mm OD PVC pipe until got to the correct ID for the tube. Wrapped and glued the cardboard for the tube and gave it a wrap of a single layer of white 50mm gummed
tape. Gave all that a spray and compressed it down onto the mandrel with 2 layers of stretched cling film

1708939402499.jpg1708939402483.jpg1708939402466.jpg

Back