Amateur Rocketry Powerpoint Presentation Suitable fo High School?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmome

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been asked to give a presentation to a high school class in the fall. Besides showing a few of my Youtube POV rocket launch videos, I'd also like to present an overview of amateur rocketry & the basic physics involved.

Has anyone already created something like this? If you're willing to share, please let me know. Thanks!!

Hi Mike, I'd be very cautious about explaining amateur rocketry to high school kids. Odds are very good that one or more will get very excited about energetic chemistry, and will try something foolish and/or illegal.

If you meant model- and high-power-rocketry, ignore this. :)

Best -- Terry

Hi Mike, I'd be very cautious about explaining amateur rocketry to high school kids. Odds are very good that one or more will get very excited about energetic chemistry, and will try something foolish and/or illegal.

If you meant model- and high-power-rocketry, ignore this. :)

Best -- Terry
If they get excited about energetic materials from a model rocketry presentation, then they probably already had explored that excitement as young boomers will do.

I think a well-delivered presentation on the model rocketry hobby, including the basic physics at play and rocket design, if anything might solidify some youngsters' interest in model rocketry, which would be a good thing.

Maybe bring a few inexpensive Viking kits or similar from a bulk pack to give to kids with the most thoughtful questions? Shoot call or email Estes or related tell them your plan--maybe they'd be willing to donate a few kits for your class. Can't hurt.

Mike M: Check Slideshare online. There's free ppt presentations on many topics. You'd have to see if model rocketry is one. {{*** Update: I checked and they only have the NAR booklet and another build book... }}

Last edited:
I did mean model rocketry as opposed to experimental (mix your own propellant) rocketry. My H.S. teacher friend wants me to bring a couple of my seven feet tall scale models of historic rockets, which are attention-grabbers from the start.

Yes. I've made several presentations at local high schools over the years. Lot's of fun. it looks like you found great resources as well. If you plan ahead and work with the school you might even get permission to launch a couple low power rockets.

I helped my daughter with a STEM Daycamp she put together with a STEM club from her high school last week. Much to my surprise we were able to get permission to use the local football stadium for a launch. The Club decided to use air rockets for the daycampers. They were K through 5 grade. It worked great and they had tons of fun. I followed with several LP rockets and they loved them.

The link is to a video of the launch of a 13mm Applewhite Saucer. The air rockets were made from a 8.5x11.5 sheet of paper. So is the saucer to carry on the theme.

All that to show that you might be able to get permission to launch at the school. No harm in asking!

Last edited:
Much to my surprise we were able to get permission to use the local football stadium for a launch.

All that to show that you might be able to get permission to launch at the school. No harm in asking!

There’s always MicroMaxx. Some of the heavier models you can probably launch in the gymn!

I've been asked to give a presentation to a high school class in the fall. Besides showing a few of my Youtube POV rocket launch videos, I'd also like to present an overview of amateur rocketry & the basic physics involved.

Has anyone already created something like this? If you're willing to share, please let me know. Thanks!!

Looks like you've found good resources so far which is good. I also think some version of the old Estes Phantom and the Fliskits 'cutaway engine model' are helpful. I'm not sure if the current owner of Fliskits still produces the cutaway engine model, but if not, let me know and I'll see if i can dig mine up and mail it to you. I'll pay shipping to you, but would prefer you pay to ship it back when done.

I may be able to send an Art Applewhite Stealth kit or two to give out as door prizes or to interested kids as well.

Feel free to PM if desired.

Sandy.

I know this is a late post, but I've done a few presentations like this as well. For future reference bringing things in person to pass around if possible is awesome. For example, the largest motor casing you have, a couple of parachutes, and maybe an altimeter bay always seems to ignite a lot of interest.

Back