Altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reed Goodwin

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a barometric altimeter that selles for under $50? Size shouldn't be much of a limiting factor because I have a PML X-Calibur which has a 2.1" body. At some point I want to get the PML Co-Pilot, but that's a little too pricey for my current budget. So far the cheapest I have found is from Apogee Rockets.
Thanks,
Reed

Originally posted by Reed Goodwin
Does anyone know of a barometric altimeter that selles for under $50? Size shouldn't be much of a limiting factor because I have a PML X-Calibur which has a 2.1" body. At some point I want to get the PML Co-Pilot, but that's a little too pricey for my current budget. So far the cheapest I have found is from Apogee Rockets.
Thanks,
Reed

May or may not be baro.

Pico LO-3, $60, can be had cheaper as a kit. Only cheaper if you're handy with soldering tiny stuff.

https://www.geocities.com/rdh82000/Picoalt/index.htm

Adept A1, $69 up to 3000', $75 up to 15000'

https://www.adeptrocketry.com/A1ds.htm

Perfectflite Alt15K/WD, $69

https://www.perfectflite.com/

I think the first 2 are peak reading only, the Alt15K does logging.

Watch the electronics section of the rocketryonline.com auctions. Sometimes you can get a good deal.

Well, I have decided that I will save up $30 more and buy the Transolve P6, because eventually I want to have a rocket with PML's CPR. One question, though, does the P6 only read out the peak altitude in increments of 100 feet? What increments does the Co-Pilot read out in?
Thanks,
Reed

Originally posted by Reed Goodwin
Well, I have decided that I will save up $30 more and buy the Transolve P6, because eventually I want to have a rocket with PML's CPR. One question, though, does the P6 only read out the peak altitude in increments of 100 feet? What increments does the Co-Pilot read out in?
Thanks,
Reed

The P6 costs $80. From what I can see, yes, it reads out only in 100' increments.

The Perfectflite MAWD costs $20 more, is also dual deployment as well as data logging (not just peak reading). It's accuracy is +/- 0.5% of peak altitude. That means for anything less than 20K it's more accurate than the P6. To use the logging feature and dump the data into a computer it takes a cable and software that costs another $15.

These are both honest about their accuracy. Some units will read out to the foot. That doesn't mean their accuracy is that good, it just means they're forcing their estimate calculations to that many decimal places.

The Co-Pilot's accuracy stats say: ± 3% (for flights at least 3k AGL; ± 5% for low flights up to ~2k AGL)". Roughly, 100' accuracy up to 3000. High than that it does a little better.

So... I am thinking that the P6 would be best? From what it sounds like, the P6 and Co-Pilot have about the same, accuracy-wise.
Reed

Since you referenced the PML co-pilot - I assume you only want discusions regarding dual deploy altimeters???
I have a P6 and a P6K. Both report peak altitude in 100' increments only. I like both units. I got my L2 cert w/ a P6K. I cannot speak for the others as I have no experience. The P6K is cheaper than a P6 - but you have to put it together yourself. P6K does NOT fit in a PML CPR rocket. Only the P6 will. The P6 is $85 including shipping.
Both are dual deploy. Neither has anything more fancy than peak altitude reporting in 100' increments. What it does is blow your e-charges and return your rocket.
The rest is optional.....
Good Luck

Back