AIM-9M.Sidewinder build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Missile in the second Photo, where the three guys are carrying it, has no Rollerons.?????
The blue band indicates an inert warhead section. Seeker section looks operational due to window cover, so it's a training "shape" for armament loaders and pilots. Seeker section being operational would allow the pilot to get a tone lock on target thereby providing training on allowable target aspects, but inert motor section (lack of brown band) would not allow launch. That's my theory on it anyway.

As one of the guys that had to load these onto F-111's, I can confirm Winston's theory. All the electronics were there, but nothing that would have allowed it to fly or go BOOM!

I was surprised at how rarely we actually put them on the Pigs. I was stunned when we were told to put a pair on an EF-111A Sparkvark once for some bigwigmucketymuck's desire for a photograph. Sparkvarks lacked the electronics to even know that one was attached, let alone try to fight with them.

As one of the guys that had to load these onto F-111's, I can confirm Winston's theory. All the electronics were there, but nothing that would have allowed it to fly or go BOOM!

I was surprised at how rarely we actually put them on the Pigs. I was stunned when we were told to put a pair on an EF-111A Sparkvark once for some bigwigmucketymuck's desire for a photograph. Sparkvarks lacked the electronics to even know that one was attached, let alone try to fight with them.

That's funny. Stupid stuff like that always made me proud to be an Enlisted Man and not an Officer.

Fun info with photos that might be helpful with scale detail:

https://science.howstuffworks.com/sidewinder.htm/printable

Thanks ,I already have that one and probably every known source in my data library....almost too much LOL

Mine will be based on 3" BlueTube body tube.

The rollerons have been made already so as I can get a perfect fit into the fins,but I`m getting ahead of myself.

I`m starting the aft fin templates first ,as everything is already scaled.

This won`t be a fast build by any means ,and mostly to try new building techniques and detail work.

I have to agree ,there`s a lot of confusing photos out there and info, so anything in "blue" or sections thereof I try to avoid.

I shall try my best, and see what happens :wink:

Cheers

Paul T

Subscribed. Looking forward to seeing what Paul considers "new building techniques and detail work.".

Going to build another museum worthy scale missile, huh Paul?

I`ll try :wink:

Just need to find time to get started ,although i did make the fin templates.

Paul T

I thought you said you couldn't launch because of the weather. What are you waiting for? Get busy!

I thought you said you couldn't launch because of the weather. What are you waiting for? Get busy!

I just finished up the Madcow FG 4"/5.5" Honest John ,of course I made it look a little more snazzy and even managed to get it primed ,needs final paint.

I should get a good start on the Sidewinder very soon ,but also need to post a BUNCH of pictures of my finished Hellfire !

That`s going to happen this weekend.

Take care

Paul T

I just finished up the Madcow FG 4"/5.5" Honest John ,of course I made it look a little more snazzy and even managed to get it primed ,needs final paint.

I should get a good start on the Sidewinder very soon ,but also need to post a BUNCH of pictures of my finished Hellfire !

That`s going to happen this weekend.

I'm looking forward to that! I contemplated the Complexities of doing a Clear Nose Cone with the Sensor Lenses, and came up with the Idea to use a Plexiglass Bubble with a Glass Insert for Nose Weight. It would be complex, getting a Concave Glass and a Plexiglass Outer Layer to fit, but it would open up the Nose Cone for additional Detail Work. The Parts for the Internals would be Cosmetic, and thus could probably be printed on one of those 3D Printers, then just Painted and given some Holographic Stickers to mimic Lenses/Sensors. That would be cool.

Back