AGM-14 HELL`S COMMING " DONE" !!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
she is looking good Paul!!

Well sir ,I think the main fins go on tomorrow ,but now I must watch the S Bowl for awhile ,or at least until Antiques Roadshow on PBS goes on at 7:00 LOL

I was working on the Redstone for awhile ,and was thinking I`ll send you the escape tower for you to make for me....after seeing what you built for your Zooch 1B , it should be no problem.

I`ll even let you pay half for the shipping costs (seems fair ?) :wink:

Take care mate !

Paul T

HA! its not a Mercury Redstone without the tower! actually, its easier in my scale...the darn thing is so small you can't see the mistakes...

Well sir ,I think the main fins go on tomorrow ,but now I must watch the S Bowl for awhile ,or at least until Antiques Roadshow on PBS goes on at 7:00 LOL

I was working on the Redstone for awhile ,and was thinking I`ll send you the escape tower for you to make for me....after seeing what you built for your Zooch 1B , it should be no problem.

I`ll even let you pay half for the shipping costs (seems fair ?) :wink:

Take care mate !

Paul T

OK...once again it`s Saturday ,and time to get stuff done !!!!!!!

The main fins are going on ,finally !

I have the tail cone temp. taped in ,which will be removed for internal fillets after the fins are all in place and tacked in with epoxy.

You see that clipboard hanging ? Those are my plans ,pretty much build as I go ,and surprisingly........it always seems to work out :confused2:

...Oh yah....the Aeropack retainer body is not glues in ,just there to make sure all is good and ready.

Thanks for comming back and having a look !

Your humble rocket builder ;

Paul T

phpkUdSkVAM.jpg

phpnNBZQ1AM.jpg

phpt7fU5iAM.jpg

Looking beautiful Paul!! tail cone looks like a perfect fit!

OK...once again it`s Saturday ,and time to get stuff done !!!!!!!

The main fins are going on ,finally !

I have the tail cone temp. taped in ,which will be removed for internal fillets after the fins are all in place and tacked in with epoxy.

You see that clipboard hanging ? Those are my plans ,pretty much build as I go ,and surprisingly........it always seems to work out :confused2:

...Oh yah....the Aeropack retainer body is not glues in ,just there to make sure all is good and ready.

Thanks for comming back and having a look !

Your humble rocket builder ;

Paul T

I love the .50 cal rounds in the background!

I was talking to Madison Alum (may have spelled that wrong...very sorry) but he has a lovely build in the PLANS forum (he scratching a Trident 1) and we were talking about those .50 cals and how I plan on doing a .50 BMG rocket build ,since I have an Loc 4-3" plastic transition and 3" nosecone.

So YUP.....yet another scratch build comming soon ,but first this and the Mercury Redstone ! I hope to have some work completed on the redstone and pictures soon.

Take care Jim !

Paul T

I noticed them too! Reach out an touch someone...
"What did you feel after taking that shot", recoil...

JP

I love recoil...makes you feel alive !!

The rifle belongs to a fellow I know ,wish it were mine ,but until I have a spare $ 5000.00 I`ll have to wait ,but one day soon !!

The recoil really is not that bad with that big muzzle break ,and that`s a bolt action ,so with a semi-auto even less ,but in Canada no semi-auto .50 cal. allowed :eyeroll:

I shot a .300 RUM......I found my teeth in my underware the next evening !

Cheers

Paul T

I was talking to Madison Alum (may have spelled that wrong...very sorry) but he has a lovely build in the PLANS forum (he scratching a Trident 1) and we were talking about those .50 cals and how I plan on doing a .50 BMG rocket build ,since I have an Loc 4-3" plastic transition and 3" nosecone.

So YUP.....yet another scratch build comming soon ,but first this and the Mercury Redstone ! I hope to have some work completed on the redstone and pictures soon.

Take care Jim !

Paul T

I was thinking of doing that too. I was going to use a ring fin made out of a belt of smaller scale rounds. Also considering just building Ma Duce and using a ring fin of smaller rounds as well, just wrapped around the gun with spent rounds making up one of the supports. The nose cone would incorporate muzzle flash. The breech would give room for a nice two motor cluster and the handles & grips would look cool and give a little back end fin action to bring the CP down as far as possible.

I was thinking of doing that too. I was going to use a ring fin made out of a belt of smaller scale rounds. Also considering just building Ma Duce and using a ring fin of smaller rounds as well, just wrapped around the gun with spent rounds making up one of the supports. The nose cone would incorporate muzzle flash. The breech would give room for a nice two motor cluster and the handles & grips would look cool and give a little back end fin action to bring the CP down as far as possible.

That sounds interesting, I`d like to see that !

When making my 50 BMG rocket ,it will be the first time using clear fins ,so I suppose Lexan in 1/4" thickness would be needed ?

Paul T

Good old 5 minute epoxy ,now all 4 fins are tacked onto the motor mount tube and the tail cone can be removed and internal fillets applied.

NOW.....it`s starting to look like a Hellfire....and BIG too !!

I still need to sand the tail cone where the inside tube comes out ,so as to make everything nice and flush.

Cheers

Paul t

phpEHAFC2AM.jpg

phpsJ1qThAM.jpg

phpWLyYI1AM.jpg

phpx50ab0AM.jpg

Thankyou my good sir !

This is probably the only time say Hell-fire is not really cussing ! LOL

Take care

Paul t

Preacher said it every sunday, parents grabbed the hot sauce when I said it, no wonder I'm confused!

That is so coool in full scale!!

As you know the rodent got it wrong, and winter is back, so most rocket work is in dry dock for now. Two days ago Turf Farm was green and snow free, I cant even get out of my drive way now!

Preacher said it every sunday, parents grabbed the hot sauce when I said it, no wonder I'm confused!

That is so coool in full scale!!

As you know the rodent got it wrong, and winter is back, so most rocket work is in dry dock for now. Two days ago Turf Farm was green and snow free, I cant even get out of my drive way now!

Rodents were made for long range shooting......22-250 or .257 Weatherby magnum @ 300 + yards ,almost as much fun as building rockets !

Never trust a rodent or " ****** " <------- insert least favorite govenrment party :lol:

My winter is here until at least April ,so as per usual ,there will be a lineup of rockets to be painted ,including this one !

Paul T

Tailcone removed and I can see the epoxy has made good contact with the motor tube.

Time for some internal fillets ,and I don`t care how messy they turn out ,as even though this is a 6" BT, with the 54mm MMT and the very long fin tabs ,there really is not a whole lot of room.

Gots to dig out the extra long "reach`n" stick to apply 30 min epoxy mixed with silica.

Paul t

phpXPPWotAM.jpg

Looks sweet!!!

Keep up the good work and keep those pretty pics coming!!

Before I do the internal fillets, I want to add some re-enforcement plates to the interior ,to add strength to where the launch shoes will be fastened.

I doubled up some body tube to make a plate 2" x 4" long and epoxied into place.

Next it`s the internal fillets.

Paul T

phptPi6g3AM.jpg

phpV5x9SQAM.jpg

Attachments

• phpMTEWiwAM.jpg
    phpMTEWiwAM.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 13
It was more of a pain than I thought it would be to get the internal fillets done.

Because the fins are so long ,and there too are the fin tabs ,it was a bugger getting the thickened epoxy all the way from front to back,but I got it and a bonus mess to boot !

Here they are ,messy but complete and rock solid.

Paul T

phpgoee0hPM.jpg

phpP8JQAgPM.jpg

Now all the fins are on ,internal fillets complete and we have this.

Plenty to do yet ,but it looks like a Hellfire more or less now.

The tailcone will be but in place after sanding the aft tube flush and epoxied ,hardware will also keep it in place.

Next the fin strakes will be added.

I also noticed a detail that I really did not want to have to add ,but if I don`t.......well you know !

The fins seem to actually be a type of fin can ,so to give the look ,I`ll have to cut long sections of body tube and rip them into quadrants to fit in between the aluminum strakes.

That should be fun !

Of course ,I`ll do it by hand with the old ZONA saw :wink:

Cheers

Paul T

phpucKDnVPM.jpg

Thank goodness, no more unsightly innards to look at...... hahahaha! That thing is huge, nice work so far, love the homemade tail cone.

Thankyou much JP ,Tim and Mr.HD ,

Nice words from my esteemed colleagues ,much appreciated !

I`m happy to make some good progress today on this project and on another that I`m getting started on ,which is a 4" Mercury Redstone.

I`m trying to watch myself on the Redstone ,as I don`t want to get out of hand on the detail aspect and end up making a career out it .....LOL

......we`ll see how that one goes !

Take care all !

Paul t

Looking really good. The main fins look really nice with the sectioned look.

Good to hear from you chum and thankyou !

As soon as i got the 4th fin on ,it seemed like I was finally jumped a major hurdle and made some progress.

I look forward to seeing your project after the wraps go on ,it`s going to look very sharp !

Take care !

Paul T

Back