Aerotech Mustang parachute size

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugues

Reaction score
A quick midpower newbie question.

I am getting ready for my first midpower flight of Aerotech Mustank kit on an F44. And then I have a nice G78 for later.

This kit is not dual deployment and I have not get my chute release yet (soon soon !!!).

So I am wondering about the chute size. It seam a bit small ( say 16" on the bag) altough I don't want it to be cought in the wind. The rocket weight 465g. with engine and I might add an extra 45g for a Mobius camera. Is the landing going to be to hard or is it ok like that.

Your opinions please and sorry for my english as I am french speaking first.20180907_162209.jpeg

If you're worried about a hard landing (or a long walk), you could always invest in a Jolly Logic Chute Release (JLCR) and use a larger parachute for the recovery.

[EDIT] I'm in China, it's really early here, and I didn't see that you mentioned the chute release. The larger parachute suggestion still stands.

Another suggestion would be to find/make a sim of the kit with your kit's weights factored in (including camera), then run the sims to see if your parachute would do the job or not.

The Mustang flies and recovers great as-is, those fins are very tough.

On a g78 it's going to go quite far, that particular flight might be worth waiting for the JLCR.

Lube your retainer threads, those get gritty pretty fast.

The Mustang flies and recovers great as-is, those fins are very tough.

On a g78 it's going to go quite far, that particular flight might be worth waiting for the JLCR.

Lube your retainer threads, those get gritty pretty fast.
Thank you for the advice. I will fly the F44 as is and lube the threads and wait for the JLCR. What kind of lube do you use ? Loctite.

I'd doubt a jolly logic with the chute burrito would fit in that tube - only 38mm or so. I could be wrong, but it would definitely be tight.

Give a choice between a hard, but safe landing or losing it from drifting to far / getting treed. I'd take the harder landing. Depends on your launch area size and the surface you expect to land on.

Thank you for the advice. I will fly the F44 as is and lube the threads and wait for the JLCR. What kind of lube do you use ? Loctite.

I like a dry PTFE or graphite lube, doesn't grab crud. I don't remember if moly or boron nitride are okay with aluminum.

I'd doubt a jolly logic with the chute burrito would fit in that tube - only 38mm or so. I could be wrong, but it would definitely be tight.

Mustang is 1.9in BT

The Jolly Logic Chute Release works fine with the stock parachute. I would set it to release at 120m or 150m. The small parachute size is designed to minimize drift. The Aerotech kits in general are pretty rugged.

You are right Open rocket simulation give me over 2000 ft with the G78 and the descent rate 31km ( 19 mph) . What is a good descent rate in general for a rocket ? But like other people are saying it is pretty sturdy.mustang1.jpeg

Back