Aerotech Fast White Lightning?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndzied1

Reaction score
Anyone remember the Aerotech Fast White Lightning?

I used to get them from Magnum. I think they did a special run once a year or so.

Is there a propellant like the FWL now? I have never seen Warp 9 but from reading it sounds faster than FWL...

Warp 9 is EXTREMELY fast. I go Vmax because warp 9 does not have a delay and ejection element. Vmax is also quite fast, particularly the F240. But just to give you an idea, there is a Vmax H400 and a Warp 9 H999! Now H400 is pretty serious, but H999 is just madness in a 38mm motor. There is a somewhat more reasonable J1299 warp 9 as well.

Last edited:
Don't forget the I1299, also in 38mm. Even madder!

Those FWL G80 motors were great for clusters.

Seven of those in a Loc Ultimate do not make it fast off the pad.... they make it disappear. :)

By total thrust the H999 and I1299 are about the same, .32 seconds burn time, but the F240 seems to win as fastest motor mid power and higher at just under .3 sec.

By total thrust the H999 and I1299 are about the same, .32 seconds burn time, but the F240 seems to win as fastest motor mid power and higher at just under .3 sec.

It might be the fastest by 0.02 seconds, but the I1299 is putting out over 6 times the Ns in what is literally the blink of an eye.

Besides, do you really think you can measure the burn time to within 0.01 seconds?

A 29 mm burn time will be less than the burn time for the same propellant in 38mm diameter bates grain because the propellant webbing is thicker. For example the 54 mm Warp 9 I599 burn time is about 0.6 seconds, ~ twice the burn time of 38 mm Warp 9.

I like slow WL personally as compared to the standard WL. Like the k480W in the 54/2560, as compared to regular WL for the same case which is the K700W.

It might be the fastest by 0.02 seconds, but the I1299 is putting out over 6 times the Ns in what is literally the blink of an eye.

Besides, do you really think you can measure the burn time to within 0.01 seconds?

I was doing average thrust and total thrust. Yes motors are not that regular, let alone the limitations of measurements.

Not sure if it is just the memory of time but I remember the FWL motors as being especially loud.

I still have one or two left with long delays. I guess I'll have to build a bird to take it up this summer to see if my memory is correct. ;)

It's definitely possible to measure the burn durations exactly, using load cells with strain gauges and computer data acquisition systems. But the variation makes it hard to draw conclusions unless you burn many samples.

Not sure if it is just the memory of time but I remember the FWL motors as being especially loud.

White lightning in general is very loud. It is my least favorite propellant because I find the sound a bit headache generating after a long day of flying.

The one WL motor that I love is the G25... it was such a graceful little thing.

Last edited:
Some White Lightning yesterday...probably my favorite.

attachment.php

You mean like these?

IMG_2070.jpg

IMG_2071.jpg

I wonder if they are any good. Been in my case for over 10 years now.

They should be good but there's a chance the delay may be on the short side if the same catalyst is used in these as in Blue Thunder.

BTW, wish the price was still what's on the sticker :):eyepop::)

You mean like these?

Them are the ones! I just looked; I have a 7 and a 10 sec. delay. Those and the one F62-6 Darkstar are probably the neatest things in my stash.

I don't think I ever got a real valid thrust curve for the G80FWL. The paper that came with them had other curves on it but not the G80FWL?

$9.99 to be exact. :) Vendor that came to our local launches had very reasonable prices on most items he sold. Purchased quite a few single use and reloads from him.

Shocking that prices have changed so much...

Back