Aerotach G-force motor mount

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to modify the motor mount on the g-force so it will accept longer motors? I have not assembled it yet. It looks like I could just throw a g in there put a motor retainer on the end. Then the lip on the nozzle piece would stop the motor from shooting out the top of the rocket. If I wanted to use a larger motor I would just put it in the tube put the retainer on and the end cap on the reloadable motor would stop it from shooting out the top. Are my assumptions correct or is there a different way to do this?

Thanks

Yep, throw out that engine hook, glue in a retainer and it will take larger motors just fine.

Quick point-NOT the engine block retainer ring! Aeropack makes the type that epoxies (JB Weld) on the end and has a screw ring that traps the flange on your re-load case. watch your cg/cp. I shifted my 180 case 2" aft and re-inforced the end of the body tube with a cut-down coupler. This reduces landing damage to a fragile area. My other G- force has the 240 case and extended forward section for testing alts/timers etc. See the Apogee web site for a G-Force mod in rocksim for what you may want to do. Sorry I can't post pictures yet, but it works to improve the performance of a heavy draggy bird like these. You may want to leave out the mesh too. Just use a blanket.

I certified L1 with my G-force, and here is what I did:

assemble the motor mount, but leave out the hook , the thrust ring and the baffle.

I put the supplied screw eye into the centering ring, backed with a piece of balsa and secured with CA, and tied the shock cord to the screw eye. If I had it ti do over I might consider using a kevlar shock cord, or at least a shock cord protector. For wadding I use a ton of dog barf.

use your choice of motor retention. I used an AeroPack retainer, but other methods will work just fine, Kaplow Clips, Madcow retainer, what ever suits your desire and budget.

While you are at it, if you are flying with a club that has rails, leave off the launch lugs and install Rail buttons.

The only problem is that there is not a whole lot of room for the recovery system, you have to stuff the chute in the payload section.

I flew the G force with a H128 on a very calm day and walked a very short distance to recover the rocket. Rock sim has it at about 1200 feet or so. Easy cert flight. Hope it helps. Feel free to PM me if you require any clarification.

thanks for the help everyone. I just ordered the aeropack retainer and to rail buttons. Seems like it'll be a real easy build

Has anyone had any issue with this kit as far as getting the laundry out. I remember a a thread posted where the kit lawn darted because there wasn't enough pressure built up inside to blow off the nose cone?

I have a G-Force that I fly all of the time on G64-4's. Perfect motor for this rocket that I built stock. The G-Force separates mid body, and I can only remember one flight having an issue with it hanging up on the coupler. It caused no damage because it came down spinning horizontal.

As Boosterdude says, build it to separate mid-body. You won't have any problems then. If you're trying to eject the nose cone, yeah... you're gonna have problems with that long, 4" tube...

Hey guys I got the motor retainer it works great! I made a couple of noob mistakes though. First I didn’t use primer I figured I didn’t need it because I was painting the rocket black. Second I partially sanded the plastic fins and nose cone before I painted it so it looks like a keyed car that someone painted over. How do I fix this?!? Third I built the rocket before the rail buttons came in so I can’t put the buttons in the specified locations the bottom one is about 1 inch below original location and the top one is about 4 inches above the specified location. Could this cause stability issues at takeoff?

Back