- Mar 3, 2017
- Reaction score
This week I tried out a few adhesives for fin placement. While I didn't get individual images of the carnage for the first two (I was busy maintaining a straight face as I gathered the pieces of shattered fins) I have one for the model I used- an Estes Sequoia. The paint jobs were hasty, so pardon that please. However, it turns out that a casual wood glue is pretty much inadequate if you do much as bump the fin, much less launch it. The fins practically stood still as a flying stick maintained marginally enough stability to go straight up and leave them behind. So I decided to move on to something stronger- "Oh CA glue is strong let's try that" forgetting the brittleness. There was a good flight, but landing at an angle snapped a fin right off. Seeing as this model was a mess I got a new one and saw a glue my grandmother recognized- E6000. She said she uses it in loads of crafts and said to try it, so I did. This stuff is great- it's a one part adhesive kind of like CA in strength but also has the flex of rubber cement, and easily sustained a launch and recovery. 9/10 would recommend E6000 for low power fins.