Adhesive for Controller Label

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbeckey

Reaction score
I have designed a label for the controller I am building. The label will likely be printed on a laser printer then laminated on both sides for durability. The substrate is aluminum sheet metal. I am looking for an adhesive that will allow me to reposition the label somewhat before it grabs completely, since I must align many elements minutely. Ideally, I would be able to remove the label, even if with some difficulty, at a later date should it become damaged and need replaced.

Sounds like a waterslide decal would work. Maybe spraypaint the Al white and then print the label on waterslide paper. To reposition, just dab with water. Seal with clear coat

I should have included this earlier. I came up with a colorful design to appeal to the kids. (That's my story and I'm stickin to it.) I don't believe inkjet or laser waterslides would produce opaque colors for this purpose. I also have never worked with a decal that large, and It doesn't seem like it would be much fun to try to keep in one piece.

View attachment Controller2 final.pdf

how about printing on label paper and just sticking it to the aluminum or using a spray adhesive.

For better alignment, you could cut your label up into a bunch of pieces and align each part individually

I've done a bunch of panels like you're thinking of. I use 3M adhesive spray. If you ever have to remove the label, you can peel it off and clean up the panel with alcohol.

You could use a thin good quality clear double sided tape. This would be similar to what is used on most self adhesive overlays and display panels. I think 3m makes it in different widths. Install the tape on the back of your overlay first then install on your controller. Good luck!

Here are the pics of the tape. The red roll is the clear heavy duty. I also found a repositionable tape. It has a very high tac on one side and a light tac on the other side.

View attachment tape.JPG

I'd use 3M spray adhesive. It comes in several different formulations ... just pick one that will work best for you. 3M 77 is widely available and the most versatile, 3M Photo Mount has a longer repositioning time and isn't quite as "permanent", and 3M 75 is specifically designed to allow for repositioning. You can peel the part off later after applying any of these and clean with a solvent to apply a new label. You can find these at places like Ace Hardware, Michael's, etc. or a quick Google search will bring up several on-line vendors.

mmm77-17.jpg

3m Photo Adhesive.jpg

3M 75 Adhesive.jpg

I have used transperacys and printed on them with reversed letters and with double sided tape on the printed side so the plastic is on the outside/top for the controller I put together.

Back